Author Topic: Converting a Model T to run on UK power?  (Read 3981 times)

Offline Kit

Converting a Model T to run on UK power?
« on: April 15, 2011, 02:31:53 pm »
Hi, I was wondering what options I had beside running an outboard transformer?

Is it possible to buy 240v trans to replace a 120v or can it be rewired, I should say I haven't actually bought a Model T yet if there are differences between year of issue.

Offline Kit

Re: Converting a Model T to run on UK power?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 03:05:58 pm »
Ahh well, didn't think it was easy...

Offline riotriot

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 04:30:00 am »
Bought a Model T in the US, got it shipped to Holland took it to a tech and got it rewired.
Friend of mine did the same.

So if it has the stock transformers it should be be possible to rewire it.

Offline Brianna1

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 04:26:45 pm »
Bought a Model T in the US, got it shipped to Holland took it to a tech and got it rewired.

This sounds like a very cool project.  How expensive was it to get that work done?  I am a big fan of Fords and just cars in general.  It doesn't get any more classic than the Model T.  It would be cool to see one driving around if I was ever over in Holland or the UK.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 07:30:19 pm by EdBass »

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 05:43:02 pm »
The standard transformer in a Model T has a 120/240 primary. But, it's not an easy conversion. Please take it to a professional.

Offline Walt-Dogg

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 03:21:00 pm »

This sounds like a very cool project.  How expensive was it to get that work done?  I am a big fan of Fords and just cars in general.  It doesn't get any more classic than the Model T.  It would be cool to see one driving around if I was ever over in Holland or the UK.
*facepalm*

Yeah, just take it to a pro and you'll have no problems. Or you can get a wall converter, if they make on that handles that much power.
Gibson Les Paul Special
Electra X260
Squier Precision Bass MIJ
Science Hellhawk 100w
Ampeg VT-22/V-4
Science Mother
Mojotone Bluesbreaker 2x12
Mojotone British 4x12
Ampeg SVT 810

Offline schneider

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 02:42:26 pm »
I was the same position a few months ago with my sunn coliseum lead, my solution was to purchase a step down transformer (intended for power tools on buildings sites) these are relatively small but heavy bucket shaped things that are typically yellow.

The key point to remember is the rating, you can find little step down transformers at about 300-500Va in electronic stores, and im not sure on the model t's input needs but my coliseum need 900 watts so i played it safe with a 3.3kVa trannie.

This was best for me as ill eventually take the head back and forth to the states, leaving the transformer at home!
I was also reluctant to mess with the insides and change the input transformers (some crazy kids say 110v sounds better)