Author Topic: Sunn 215B  (Read 4743 times)

Offline jerryjg

Sunn 215B
« on: July 31, 2009, 09:11:59 am »
Does anyone happen to know what the internal dimension or volume of the old Sunn 215B speaker cabinet are? Its the cabinet that originally had the Magna speakers I took out and sold :roll:.
Anyhow, I have a pair of EV Force 15's and I wonder if anyone would be able to plug in the numbers and see if they might be a good fit for the cabinet;
http://www.usspeaker.com/ev%20force15-1.htm

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
Re: Sunn 215B
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 03:28:33 pm »
I come up with a volume of 10828 cubic inches or 6.26 cubic feet. That does not take into account bracing or porting wood.

Offline jerryjg

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 02:01:36 am »
Wow, belated thanks for that reply. I've long since ditched the original Magnas that came in the cabinet, and am looking for suitable replacement speakers.
I believe that I've read that some people have used the JBL D140's ( and also 130's?) as good replacemnet speakers in this cabinet? Anyone?
Any other suggestions? Thanks again! :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 10:43:20 am by jerryjg »

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 07:55:22 am »
I have a pair of EV Force 15's and I wonder if anyone would be able to plug in the numbers and see if they might be a good fit for the cabinet

Why "plug in numbers"? Just plug in your EV's and see if you like the sound, isn't that all that really matters?  :?
I'm not personally familiar with that specific cabinet, but it sure looks to be virtually identical to the early 70's 215S cab. T/S parameters didn't exist until the later 70's, there was nothing to "plug in".
I use a 215S as a "mule" cab when testing different 15" drivers; I know the cab well so it gives me sort of a baseline to listen from. I personally like the cab with EVM 15L's for bass guitar if it will be pounded on, and D140's for lower power applications.
If you are using that transistor Peavey to push them, D series JBL's may not be your best solution. Your EV's will take a lot more punishment, the D series was designed in an era when a 100 watt amp was a monster.

Offline jerryjg

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 03:36:18 am »
Heres a link I found over to Talkbass Forums. The guy has a Sunn 215B and measured the internal Volume.
In a subsequent post he talked to Eminnence, giving them the parameters, and Eminence suggested the Kappalite 3015, or the Delatalite II 2515, which is the one I am going to get. They are both 8 ohm speakers.The Basslite was also listed, however its a 4 ohm speaker, so not really good for the 215B.
Others do seem to have luck with the D140 JBLs mostly, but i believe I've heard where another had good results with the EV15L.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508180

Offline spellcaster

• Nicholas Syracuse Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 08:45:56 pm »
Edbass, Have been following your reviews and posts on talkbass as well with the Reeves amp and cabinet.
 I'm curious how you feel the JBL E-140s sound in the Sunn cabinets vs the Reeves cabinet 1-15 since they are somewhat similar in design.

I would agree the D-140's with original cones are best with the lower wattage amps.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 08:48:13 am »
Edbass, Have been following your reviews and posts on talkbass as well with the Reeves amp and cabinet.
 I'm curious how you feel the JBL E-140s sound in the Sunn cabinets vs the Reeves cabinet 1-15 since they are somewhat similar in design.

I would agree the D-140's with original cones are best with the lower wattage amps.

I’m more of an AlNiCo JBL fan, but based on my limited experience with the E-140 I’m sure it would sound just ducky in the Sunn cab.
The Reeves cab is indeed very similar in design to the Sunn 215S; well, half of a Sunn 215S anyway.

But…
The driver is the key to the great reviews that the Reeves cab gets though. It’s been R&D’ed to death for over a year, built to spec for Reeves specifically for the application, whereas the majority of new “bass” cabs are just a generally spec’ed driver stuffed in a box that a quick run through WinISD says is appropriate.
I don’t have the experience to directly compare an E-140 loaded Sunn to the Reeves 115, but the new Reeves cab is the best 115 cab I’ve played; singing highs, creamy mids, and ultra tight, chest thumping bottom end. Absolutely amazing for bass guitar.
I guess for $799 it pretty much better be!