Author Topic: SunnO)) the band  (Read 45171 times)

Offline snarzdar

• If it's too slow, you're too young.
    • lowered expectations
Re: SunnO)) the band
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2011, 02:39:47 am »
This band is solely responsible for making the prices of Model T's and all other Sunn amps jump up 10,000%. What a bummer.

Oh, I've seen them live twice. I learned once you've seen them once, you've seen them enough. Fortunately, Boris and Thrones played the second time I saw them, so it wasn't a complete waste. Boris was absolutely amazing live.

You have to put the blame back ten years further, to the early 1990's. SunnO))) are Sleep worshippers. Sleep was devoted to the early '70's tube amplifier technology for making doom songs. -tinnitus (WHAT?)

Maybe look back 20 more years while you're at it.

Offline rot gut

« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2011, 09:46:18 am »
This band is solely responsible for making the prices of Model T's and all other Sunn amps jump up 10,000%. What a bummer.

Oh, I've seen them live twice. I learned once you've seen them once, you've seen them enough. Fortunately, Boris and Thrones played the second time I saw them, so it wasn't a complete waste. Boris was absolutely amazing live.

You have to put the blame back ten years further, to the early 1990's. SunnO))) are Sleep worshippers. Sleep was devoted to the early '70's tube amplifier technology for making doom songs. -tinnitus (WHAT?)

It's more like Sunn worship Earth.

Offline Stonah

« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2011, 02:46:28 pm »
It's more like Sunn worship Earth.
[/quote]

Ok i know this is a bit off topic but it crossed my mind... so the band sunn O)) are huge fans of Earth...well did maybe the band Earth named itself by the way early 70's amps Earth (sound research)??? and therefore since being their huge fans, the guys from sunn O)) also named themself by some other amplifiers... the sunn O)) ???

Offline John Matrix

• Art Things
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2011, 04:36:08 pm »
I think the band Earth is named after the original name of Black Sabbath
http://archradish.blogspot.com

Beta Lead 212, Concert Lead into a 412L, Schecter Tempest Classic

Offline Addam

• Opus Noir
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2011, 09:27:26 pm »
Or maybe, SunnO is just super pretentious and thought "Let's call ourselves SunnO))) because the Earth revolves around the Sun."  Maybe not.

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2011, 08:31:59 am »
this should clear some of this up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3ErbqzbKco
MAXIMUM VOLUME YIELDS MAXIMUM GOATS

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs

Offline John Matrix

• Art Things
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2011, 12:58:19 pm »
That video was great. I think it debunks the idea of them being super pretentious. They just seem like dudes who wanna get faded and trip out on some far out shit.
http://archradish.blogspot.com

Beta Lead 212, Concert Lead into a 412L, Schecter Tempest Classic

Offline Walt-Dogg

« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2011, 01:15:38 pm »
That video was great. I think it debunks the idea of them being super pretentious. They just seem like dudes who wanna get faded and trip out on some far out shit.
Sadly to some that's considered pretentious.
Gibson Les Paul Special
Electra X260
Squier Precision Bass MIJ
Science Hellhawk 100w
Ampeg VT-22/V-4
Science Mother
Mojotone Bluesbreaker 2x12
Mojotone British 4x12
Ampeg SVT 810

Offline Stonah

« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2011, 03:11:10 pm »
Why would anyone think of them as pretentious??

Offline Addam

• Opus Noir
« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2011, 03:42:24 pm »
Why wouldn't anyone catch that statement as a joke is a better question...  :?

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2011, 10:43:29 pm »
Greg's a real cool dude. Don't know about O'Malley, he seems kinda "self-serious", but I've seen a few interviews with him where he seems like a real laid back nice dude, he is the "artsy" type, so that could get misinterpreted for being snooty... I did hear something a long time ago about O'Malley throwing a house/stage monitor off the stage or something... whatever though.
MAXIMUM VOLUME YIELDS MAXIMUM GOATS

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs

Offline rot gut

« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2011, 06:25:26 pm »
Greg's a real cool dude. Don't know about O'Malley, he seems kinda "self-serious", but I've seen a few interviews with him where he seems like a real laid back nice dude, he is the "artsy" type, so that could get misinterpreted for being snooty... I did hear something a long time ago about O'Malley throwing a house/stage monitor off the stage or something... whatever though.

Also I believe SOMA pushed Greg through the amps at a Sunn show or maybe it was the other way around.

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2011, 03:03:31 pm »
au contraire-Greg-self proclaimed 'caveman' to O'Malleys 'artist' pushed Stephen into his wall of amps-i got pix. story was-Stephen was playing around on stage-just wasnt into what they were supposed to be playing-so Greg came over and gave a big push. they are both cool guys who can play really well in other genres and just get a lot of heat for the d r o n e stuff most people dont understand.
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline Stonah

« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2011, 03:07:12 am »
au contraire-Greg-self proclaimed 'caveman' to O'Malleys 'artist' pushed Stephen into his wall of amps-i got pix. story was-Stephen was playing around on stage-just wasnt into what they were supposed to be playing-so Greg came over and gave a big push. they are both cool guys who can play really well in other genres and just get a lot of heat for the d r o n e stuff most people dont understand.

And i presume that you know them personally since you know all that?