Author Topic: Sunn Sorado -- need info  (Read 2326 times)

Offline Paul Cassone

Sunn Sorado -- need info
« on: June 11, 2001, 09:28:00 pm »
I just bought a Sorado off Ebay that was supposed to be in excellent shape but is not.  THe trannies are very rusty and it is making a clicking noise that sounds to me like arcing.  Could be the caps (which are all original) could be the rusty trannies, doesn't seem to be the tubes.  My guess is the caps, as I've had a couple of Dynacos that made similar noises and once I replaced the caps the noise stopped.

The tubes were carefully packed and shipped separately.  The amp was also carefully packed.

This amp came with KT88's (originals).  If I wind up keeping it, would I be able to use 6550's in it?  It would be a heck of a lot cheaper than retubing with the KT88's.

I'd appreciate any info you can give me on this amp.

Thanks and regards,

Paul

Offline Mark Ratcliffe

Sunn Sorado -- need info
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2001, 06:14:00 am »
Hi Paul, I to own a Sorado.(featured in the pics section) I think the transf all get rusty. Mine are. I have 6550's in mine. I am told they are the same as the KT88. Only the 6550 are the European brother. I am also told way, back in these threads, that there is a KT90 which is supposed to be awsome for this amp.
Good luck.

Mark

Offline Paul Cassone

Sunn Sorado -- need info
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2001, 09:12:00 pm »
Thanks for the info Mark.  I am working on this with the seller to see if we can cut a deal.  He represented the amp as in *excellent* condition, which it clearly isn't since it is arcing.

I hope we can resolve this because I'd love to restore the amp.

Paul

Offline mike

Sunn Sorado -- need info
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2001, 04:15:00 pm »
KT88's DO sound different; it's hard to explain...fuller, more musical.  If you can bite the bullet, go ahead and try them.  KT90's are a whole different story.  They are fantastic in Sunn guitar amps, giving an EL34-like break-up,  as opposed to the glassy brittle sound that 6550/KT88's give to six-strings.  In Sunn bass amps, they tend to mush out too much; that's why 6550/KT88's are used as they have mucho headroom, don't break up until really pushed, and are pretty powerful. Count on replacing most of the capacitors; on a 30+ year old amp, it's just a matter of time before most, if not all, of them dry up.