Author Topic: Sunn corners  (Read 3211 times)

Offline 66tele

Sunn corners
« on: October 27, 2013, 10:46:48 am »
Just an FYI to my fellow Sunn collectors.......I just bought some new repro corners from Pro Speaker Parts (www.prospeakerparts.com) and they are an exact match for the classic Sunn corners used on the 60's and 70's amps. These are made by Reliable Hardware (www.reliablehardware.com) and can be found in their on-line catalog. They both have the 3-screw and 2-screw versions and they only cost about $0.63 each! No affiliation, just want to pass along a resource.

66tele
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 04:45:57 am by EdBass »

Offline Rancho Rauncho

Re: Sunn corners
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 06:00:41 pm »
I'd like to give a shout out to Ebay seller aaronsher who makes available all manner of Sunn corners, knobs, switches, and other bits and pieces. He has helped me out many times on restoration projects, and is a solid citizen! While it's great to have a number of sources, I know he does it as a labor of love.

Offline Sunny Boy

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 10:29:51 am »
66Tele, what's the part number of the corners on that page which are the same as the Sunn corners?  Thanks!

Offline sunn-tanned

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 06:21:45 pm »
Hey I'm looking for the corners that were on the 80's enforcer type cabs and didn't see any there. Anyone have ideas?

Offline Watson

• House Kustoms Guitars and Amps
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 04:57:28 pm »
I echo your search and after several years of looking am convinced there are only 2 ways to get any. 

1. Cast your own (which is on my bucket list but still a ways down on it)
2. Buy other 80's Hartzell made SUNN gear and scavenge from it (many amps, speakers and PA gear from that period wore the same corners).

When I do get to making a mold and casting for my own needs, I will make several dozen extras and post them as available for the cost of the materials.

Here is a little information shared with me by Rex B who was nice enough to respond regarding the cabinets and trim in that era (thanks Rex B).

"The cabinets on your Enforcer gear were designed slightly after I left Sunn to work at Fender, but I am somewhat familiar with their heritage. The cabinets of this final pre-Fender era were made by a company in Troutdale Oregon called "Bennett". They were done using a technique called Miter-Fold. I looked for Bennett Cabinets in Troudale on Google, and did not get a hit, so they may not be there anymore. I THINK the edging is a stock vinyl extrusion from some plastic fabricator , but unfortunately, I don't know who.

The corners have a more interesting story. Larry Davis, the mechanical engineer at the time, told me he took a plastic stacking Kleenex box, and cut the corners off at a 45 degree angle, (probably on a bandsaw). They used these as a pattern to make an injection mold for the corners. This is why those corners have kind of a sharp edge on them, and undercut toward the cabinet: they really should have beveled them the other direction so they didn't catch on things when you try to slide the cabinet. People have also been cut on them.
"

Offline Walt-Dogg

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 07:18:14 pm »
Getting in touch with Conrad Sundholm also works as he sells some parts for 60s and a some 70s Sunns namely corners and tolex.
Gibson Les Paul Special
Electra X260
Squier Precision Bass MIJ
Science Hellhawk 100w
Ampeg VT-22/V-4
Science Mother
Mojotone Bluesbreaker 2x12
Mojotone British 4x12
Ampeg SVT 810

Offline Watson

• House Kustoms Guitars and Amps
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 08:17:41 pm »
Most definitely and he has helped many including myself with most corners, casters, tolex and grill cloth for cabinets from the 60's and 70's.  Unfortunately he couldn't help with the 80's items as that was all after his involvement with his company was over.

Offline Ryan Phelps

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 09:21:06 pm »
Hey,
This is 66tele.... The Reliable Hardware numbers are:
Small 3-screw corners = RH1280 & Small 2-screw corners = RH1270. These are an exact match for the 60's -70's Sunn corners. I have over a dozen Sunn amps and speaker cabs and these corners are an exact fit. Very affordable.