Author Topic: are you using this stuff?  (Read 21988 times)

Offline broiler

Re: are you using this stuff?
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2008, 12:15:53 pm »
Ha ha ha! you guys are a riot! What you can't see in the pic is an SVT on it's side to the right! Just wanted to show this stuff in action! I also have a Sorado rig I use for practice. Two of the 2000s heads and one of the cabs I bought from Rich Briere. Been a labor of love getting these rigs up and running.

Offline Crystolize

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2008, 07:11:55 pm »
I Have had my Sunn SX6350 for about 15 years now and feed it a hot Ibanez 6 string supper any chance i get, it pushes power out to a pair of Peavey SP5's as well as going to a Alesis power mixer direct from there to my laptop with sounforge 9.0 and there is not an amp that comes to my house that can growl as loud as this package. Although one hot supper to many it seems, can somebody direct me to purchasing the replacement output transistors located on the back in between the heat grills, there are six of these on the back and two inside (MJ15023) 8817 and (MJ15022) 8833. I have found these on the internet but they list many different things they can do and can find no info for the specific specs on these. Nothing in the manual at all.  I miss my GROWL and it only happened last night.

Offline mckinnon audio

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2008, 08:19:09 pm »
  Hi there,they're Motorola outputs,they're used in Peavey,Yorkville(Traynor,Audiopro) and probably a million others.You can find the specs. in a Peavey service/parts manual or in a Motorola trans. guide. Hope this helps a bit,good luck Mel.

Offline Darkpoke4166390

« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2008, 11:18:25 am »
Humm i only have one Sunn product, that would be my Stagemaster Head. I remember looking at some fender amp n looking at the Stagemaster then passing it up. My Bro n i came home did some reasearch on it n realized what a find it would be to get it, so my dad n i chased the guy down to the next town n i got it for 100$ great condition little rust needs one new pot powerchord n whole new set of knobs. But anyways Im 17 and play metal, i dont yet own a cab yet for it but i have played it on a Laney Cab with celestion vintage 30's i believe it was a 16ohm cab. Me and My buddy were amazed on how loud this amp was, we never turned up the output power for either channel over 5w and we were already shaking the walls, so this things a beast compared to his tube Peavy 5150. Its Casscaded overdrive sounded really nice but its not enough for us metal players. Other shit i use would be a Yamahaw magic stomp, danelectro Black Coffee metal distortion, and fab tone , and a boss cs-3, pro. co. rat. Playing a Agile 3100 LP copy, SX Strat copy, and some 80's Korean Squire and some 50's-60's Silvertone shotscale acoustic. I belive this Sunn Stagemaster has enought power to satisfy me for life lmao i cant wait to get a cab for it. it will be a great replacement over my Dean Markley what was handed down to me. The sad part it my uncle played a few hundred for it i belive too. One day i hopt to gig with this and possible find its matching cabs.
Im jus a kid whos fascinated by guitars amps and vintage equipment, im poor as fuck n get almost everything i own from the fleamarket, this was posible my greatet find.

What saddens me i dont see her in the Sunn Museum XD 

Rock on Sunn!

Offline wilddeath

« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2008, 04:26:36 pm »
I use my SUNN gear when jamming out acidy/doomy punk stuff (anyone in nj contact me!). I'm all beta! A beta lead running a 70's sunn 2x15 and a beta bass pushing two 15's.  I rarely go up past three on the master and the tones that emit are like none other.  I suck the mid range out and just push pure madness.  I also owned an early 70's concert lead once but let it go to a cute girl who was really into the stoner rock, oh should could've walked away with my heart and i would'nt even have noticed!  With my punk band  dead heros id always bring out the beta lead whenever we played, countless times id hear "turn down the sunn" screw em!  i can dial any sound in on that amp, whether i wanna emulate a nice tube crunch, or pure blackened evil.  I love it and plan on buying more up being as they are abundant it seems in my area. 

Offline Coliseum880

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2008, 11:43:08 am »
I haven't been using Sunns for ver long; I bought my first one, a Solarus, in 1999. It was a great sounding guitar amp, and it had completely different 6L6s in it (one GB and one GC) and somebody had put some diodes instead of a tube rectifier. I remember measuring upwards of 600V on the plates of the tubes (!) and a clean 72W output. I sold it a few years after to replace it with an Ampeg V4. It was bought as a bass amp, and I eventually traded it towards an Ampeg V4, which was not that good of a deal.

I've been playing in a Stoner Rock band for a while now, and I just picked up a Coliseum 880. What a monster. There are two guitar players in the band: one uses (ironically) a V4 while the other uses a Matamp. I play an EB-0 in an Ampeg 8x10 and it is hard for them both to keep up. Good stuff.

Thanks Conrad.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2008, 12:41:12 pm »
Humm i only have one Sunn product, that would be my Stagemaster Head.

What saddens me i dont see her in the Sunn Museum XD 

Rock on Sunn!
So why don't you do something about that?
Isaac

Offline loudnproud

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2008, 07:34:48 am »
I still use my Sunn Concert Lead mainly for serenading the neighbors, haven't been in a band since I was a kid. I would love to find or form a vintage '60s garage rock band, but most of us are old, and kids want to play what they're familiar with. I guess there ain't no cure for the summertime blues.

Offline pickinatit

« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2008, 02:02:50 pm »
I still use my Sunn Concert Lead mainly for serenading the neighbors, haven't been in a band since I was a kid. I would love to find or form a vintage '60s garage rock band, but most of us are old, and kids want to play what they're familiar with. I guess there ain't no cure for the summertime blues.

I don't know how old you are,  but I'm 53 and got the same itch for a vintage 60's / 70/s  garage band (or in my case basement).  It's the main thing that drew me into the Sunn collecting (although my collection is meager compared to some of you guys on here).  I've owned a Solarus for fourty yrs. and had a Concert Bass Amp back in the mid 70's that I sold.

Now I still have the Solarus,  and a replacement Concert Bass and a 2000S and  a 1200S,  200S 2 x 15 Cab that I'm fixing up.....and a Garage Band that has actually already managed to play out in pulic a couple of times.

Got to keep rockin !!  Put an adv. in Craigslist for your area and also in the Harmony Central classifieds and you might be surprised how many guys just like yourself come crawling out of the woodwork.

Offline djc

« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2008, 02:49:10 pm »
53??!  I'm 33 and have the same desire!  except mainly for blues and 60's rock/funk, come to think of it, any music, even country! hey what can I say, I'm eclectic

Offline Sloom

« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2008, 10:31:08 am »
Well I don't know how 'vintage' it is, but I've recently hooked up with a 300T bass head, 300 tube watts.  Not since my old SVT (that I let go... bad idea) have I been so "all set" with the sound of my amp.  I am now, after many years of playing through 'those other' bass heads (with the exception of the SVT and an Acoustic 370- but it blows the 370 out of the water anyway...), inspired with a kind of confidence that I can play anywhere, and get any sound I need.   :mrgreen:

I'm having to get set up properly with cabs now- I have impedance-matching issues- but no worries, I'm just getting on with it.

I really dig my Sunn bass amp.   
"Whatever we do, it is what it is, and we do it."

-the Grubs.