Author Topic: A problem with my head  (Read 1491 times)

Offline bjh811

A problem with my head
« on: May 17, 2005, 12:36:24 am »
I have a Sunn 200S amplifier head. Overall I like it, it's impressive how much better it can fill up a room compared to my other head, an SWR workingman 4004.
My main problem is...this head goes through fuses like you wouldn't believe. I don't know what the issue is. I had a fuse in my SWR for months, took it out and popped it in the Sunn, after 30 minutes of playing the fuse was blown. It happens ALL the time, even happened onstage once. What on earth could possibly cause this fuse problem, does anybody know? I'd love to get it repaired, because this amp works great for me.

Aside from that, does anyone have any general suggestions as far as other ways to tweak the amp's sound, if possible?

Offline bjh811

A problem with my head
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 12:38:16 am »
also, does anyone have suggestions as far as what kind of cabs would be best to play this through? I have one, but if there's any "perfect match" for this head I'd really like to look into it. Thanks.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
A problem with my head
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 07:33:58 am »
The electrolytic filter capacitors in the power supply would be a good place to start. As they get old, they can leak, and the electrolyte becomes weaker, so the caps start to conduct across,between the plates. Sometimes they will still work fine while cold, but the current leakage heats them up, etc. Get it checked out before something bad happens, like a burned up transformer.
Isaac

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
A problem with my head
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 07:36:12 am »
As for cabs, the classic cabinet for the 200S is a Sunn 2x15 cabinet, with a "folded horn" port, and JBL D140 drivers.
Isaac

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
A problem with my head
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 10:42:17 am »
Make sure the fuse is a "slo-blo" type and is rated for 3 amps.

Hating to be one of those to overlook the obvious because it generally manages to bite me eventually...  It does happen (over time and usually when someone gets a new amp) that a fuse holder cap might be replaced with one that may have a different rating marked on the end of it.  It makes you think you are putting in the correct rating when it may be totally wrong.

If the fuse blows and you are not playing through it at the time, then the power supply components (as suggested above) are the most likely suspects.