Author Topic: New to Sunn gear... Many questions, pelase bear with me.  (Read 2331 times)

Offline PeakofNothing

New to Sunn gear... Many questions, pelase bear with me.
« on: April 17, 2005, 01:31:04 pm »
I traded in my old stuff for some new (old) gear and I have purchased both a Sunn Model T (not reissue) and a Beta Lead (head only) from eBay. And my questions are this:

Can both the Model T and Beta Lead be connected together in some way?  The Beta Lead (unless there's something wrong with it) gives a really horrible hiss when the drive and/or level are turned up on either channel.  I'd like to use it still if it can be connect to the Model T for more power if possible. If not, then I'll most likely sell it. And what would bea  good preamp suggestion to go with the Model T?

This is gonna sound really bad but What's the difference between the brite nad normal channels?

And lastly, if anyone could tell me the year the BEta Lead is. it's A58885.  The serial number is scratched off the Model T.

Thanks for answers and patience.  I'm still learning everything about Sunn.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 02:07:40 pm »
Yes, there are ways to connect them together. You could run the preamp out from the Model T to the power amp in on the beta. You could run a line from the OUT jack on the front of the T to the Beta's input jack. In either case, you must run each power amp to a separate speaker. No way I'd ever, EVER try to put them in parallel. In fact, with a T available, I'd never use the Beta, I don't think. Why would you need or want a preamp with a Model T? Also, does your T have the midrange selector switch?

The difference between the Bright and Normal channels is just what you'd think: the Bright channel sounds brighter, that is, it has more treble. I can't help you with the year on the Beta.
Isaac

Offline PeakofNothing

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 02:14:10 pm »
I was curious as to see what I can do. To be honset, I'm not very happy with the Beta Lead, most likely because of the Model T is so much better and connecting them together would probably be the only way if would ever get use.  There appears to be no mid range selector switch on there.  Just a Polarity, circuit breaker button etc.  And one last dumb question as to what the Line out can do/connect to.

Offline PeakofNothing

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 02:16:33 pm »
And If I purchase another Model T I can connect those two in the same as with the Beta Lead... although it's unneccessary I would imagine.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 08:45:11 pm »
The Line Out is a line level output coming from the output of the power amp. It is reduced in level so that it can be used as a direct out to a PA, recording unit or external power amp. Note, however, that it's a full range output, so, if you're running distortion, you'll get all those nasty high end harmonics which are normally filtered out by the frequency response of the guitar speakers. Modern DI boxes do a similar thing, so their output has a frequency response similar to what you'd get if you miked the speaker cabinet. That's actually what I meant when I said "preamp out." The T doesn't have a pre out, it has a line out.

So, you could run a line out into a second T, but I wouldn't recommend it. Much better to run a cord from one or both OUT jacks to the IN jacks on the second amp. Set the tone controls the same, and you have twice the power. That only makes a few dB difference, though. Better to use more speaker cabinets. The T will power a 2 ohm load. That's four 8 ohm cabinets.

Finally, from what I've read, you got the good Model T. The second generation has the mid selector switch beneath the mid control, and is said to not sound nearly as good. That's the model I have, and it's hard to get a really nice bass sound, though it's okay for guitar. I'm thinking of modifying it to the original specs.
Isaac

Offline bentbolt

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 06:11:12 pm »
here's what happens when you get multiple Model T's on stage together with plenty of cabinets...

http://www2.newpaltz.edu/~leed67/7_28_04.htm

enjoy!
deru kugi wa utareru

Anonymous

Thanks for the photos...nice!
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 09:50:21 pm »
Thanks for the photos...very nice!