Author Topic: 215B and SPL speakers?  (Read 2588 times)

Offline jerryjg

215B and SPL speakers?
« on: February 02, 2007, 04:07:36 pm »
I recently posted that I had a 215M cabinet with magnas. Well, come to find out its the "215B with the white port running down the side and the red Sunn logo.. It has two square magnet speakers. I thought they were Magnas, but now I think they may be the "SPL 15" speakers. The cabinet is plywood. Does anyone know how to I.D an  Sunn "SPL" speaker? Ive read good things about the SPL's on the serch function.  Is this  "Sunn215B" cabinet/speaker combo , if they are SPL's,  any good for guitar or is it strictly a Bass unit? Thanks

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: 215B and SPL speakers?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 05:05:42 pm »
QUICK, SOMEBODY ANSWER!
I mean right now!
C'mon, somebody posted another question, drop everything you're doing, put down that blunt and answer before he gets mad, you derelicts!!!!

Offline rick.heil

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 05:11:11 pm »
Sorry Ed, I am WAY too blazed.  I can barely tuiwpe roiwght noiew..,.

Offline jerryjg

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 07:44:57 pm »
QUICK, SOMEBODY ANSWER!
I mean right now!
C'mon, somebody posted another question, drop everything you're doing, put down that blunt and answer before he gets mad, you derelicts!!!!
         ya gotta admit tho, despite the storied history of Sunn, everyone knows its means youre a stoner if you play Sunn now.The derelict part wasnt cool tho.

Offline rick.heil

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 08:47:58 pm »
I completely disagree.  I have never touched pot, and I play through a Beta Lead and use an Alpha mixer.  Yes, there are a lot of stoner bands who use Sunn equipment, but that's not fair to call all Sunn users stoners.  Maybe the other way around (stoners being Sunn users).

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 11:24:22 pm »
QUICK, SOMEBODY ANSWER!
I mean right now!
         ya gotta admit tho, despite the storied history of Sunn, everyone knows its means youre a stoner if you play Sunn now.The derelict part wasnt cool tho.
As an obvious Sunn aficionado, it would be naïve to think that Sunn gear isn’t very popular with the stoner/doom genre, but the rich heritage of Sunn in rock music culture causes myself (and others apparently) to take umbrage with your suggestion that the gear is in the soul dominion of feckless, inarticulate denizens of the droning, drug induced domain of pseudo “musicians”.
Or in other words;
Yes, there are a lot of stoner bands who use Sunn equipment, but that's not fair to call all Sunn users stoners.  Maybe the other way around (stoners being Sunn users).
Enough of that, I didn’t think the Magna speakers were AlNiCo, and I thought SPL’s were a designation for cabinets/cast frame drivers combinations from the early 80’s.
I don’t think you have to worry about whether it was designed for bass, it should hold up just fine for bass or guitar, the question is whether you like the sound or not. It should be more bottom heavy than a 4X12 or other tight guitar specific cabinet, but there is no way for anybody but yourself to know if you think it sounds good.

Offline pickinatit

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 11:52:53 pm »
"the soul dominion of feckless, inarticulate denizens of the droning, drug induced domain of pseudo “musicians”."

I have to hand it to you Ed,  you can turn a mean phrase!

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 12:52:20 am »
"the soul dominion of feckless, inarticulate denizens of the droning, drug induced domain of pseudo “musicians”."

Thanks for the felicitation;
I just wish I was as prolific with a soldering iron as I am with prose.

On a different subject, did that 2X15 you won on eBay have D140's in it?

Offline pickinatit

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 06:35:07 am »
It hasn't arrived yet and the seller doesn't know what is in it.  I will post about it when it arrives and let you all know what it has in it and so on. 
Thanks for you interest.

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 05:35:40 pm »
I have a 215B with SPL speakers in it. They sound very nice...but are noticibly less loud than my D140's. They handle a lot of power so I guess I would ask what amp are you going to drive them with? I would suggest 200 watts as a minimum.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 11:46:43 pm »

Yes, but where is this "soul dominion"? Is it solely a dominion of souls?
Isaac