Author Topic: SUNN CABINET 610L???  (Read 25362 times)

Offline djg

SUNN CABINET 610L???
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2004, 04:29:31 am »
As a suggestion, you could put different drivers in that cabinet that would be more suitable for the bass.
//------------------------------------------
//
//------------------------------------------

Offline pennierich

• http://www.othersideoftime.com
Speakers 610L
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2004, 08:27:09 pm »
I wouldn't recommend any 10 inch speaker for bass and I would never recommend using the 610L cabinet for bass.

Being a Sunn purist, I do not recommend using any equipment for any application other than what it was originally intended.

My suggestion would be sell the 610 and buy a Sunn Bass cabinet... There are plenty of guitar players that would love to have that cabinet and once you play through a sunn bass cabinet, you won't want to use anyting else. I would recommend finding an original Sunn cabinet and not one of the later modified, downgraded  :evil:  Fender copies.

Offline sparkletown

SUNN CABINET 610L???
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2006, 11:32:39 am »
I also have the black faced version with the white baffle board.  Mine has transducers, although one of them is blown.  Does anybody know what model speaker on the eminence website is the equivelent to the transducer?  I really like this cab, I want to keep it as close as possible to original, and also match my other speakers.  Thanks!

Offline ryanizzle

SUNN CABINET 610L???
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2006, 01:35:59 pm »
i bought a 610L that had four replaced speakers and the two originals. once i get the cash, i'm going to replace all six with some newer, more powerful speakers. if you want, you can have one of my original transducer speakers. one of them has a rattle when a bass is played through it at loud volumes (voice coil?) and the other one works perfectly. let me know if you want it since i won't be needing it

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
SUNN CABINET 610L???
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2006, 05:19:47 pm »
I also have the black faced version with the white baffle board. Mine has transducers, although one of them is blown. Does anybody know what model speaker on the eminence website is the equivelent to the transducer?

The term "Transducer" is just the technical name for what are commonly called "Speakers". All speakers are actually transducers. The Sunn "Transducers" are just regular old speakers, but all of the Sunn guitar cabinets I've come in contact with that used the term "Transducer" also used AlNiCo motors and are more difficult (expensive) to come by now days.
I want to keep it as close as possible to original, and also match my other speakers.

You can always have the bad speaker re-coned, unless the frame or motor is physically damaged. It's hard to beat AlNiCo's for a tube amplified rig, they seem to have a warmth and less edgy attack than other magnet materials. Also, tube distortion is much smoother and less abrupt than transistor distortion and less demanding on the typically lower power capacity AlNiCo drivers. For solid state amps and some higher power bass guitar applications, you are probably best served by a more modern 10" transducer type that has better power handling capabilities.

Offline deathfaces

Re: SUNN CABINET 610L???
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2007, 05:35:37 pm »
anyone know what the individual stock speaker ohms of this cabinet are?  if its series parrellel wiring, that implies they are 6 ohm speakers, which is strange.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2007, 07:58:14 am »
Strange, perhaps, but that's correct. Keep in mind that these were designed to go with solid state heads, where the impedance is not critical, so long as it doesn't go too low.
Isaac

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2007, 09:34:25 am »
anyone know what the individual stock speaker ohms of this cabinet are?  if its series parrellel wiring, that implies they are 6 ohm speakers, which is strange.

If the cab was wired series parallel the individual drivers would have to be 9 ohms. Which is of course possible, but I think having VC's wound for 9 ohms for one specific cabinet design would be inefficient from a manufacturing standpoint. (of course, Sunn did go under!)
Also, if they were going to custom wind drivers specifically for the 6X10, you would think they would wind them to 12 ohms so they would get a more universally usable 8 ohm cabinet. I'll betcha they used 8 ohm drivers and the impedance was actually 5.3, like Isaac says; "Keep in mind that these were designed to go with solid state heads, where the impedance is not critical, so long as it doesn't go too low."

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2007, 10:23:36 am »
I think we're all correct, just saying it differently. The 610L used 8 ohm drivers, wired series parallel, for a total nominal impedance of 5.3 ohms The speaker as a whole was rated at 6 ohms. Close enough.
Isaac

Offline fatlizzard

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2007, 04:37:01 pm »
I loaded my 6-10 cabinet with J.B.L's and it sounded great for bass with my Model T!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline deathfaces

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2007, 06:53:18 am »
thats what i was thinking, it seems weird to have special speakers in this sucker.  you'd have thought they'd just wire it to 8 ohms, though.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2007, 11:55:20 am »
I loaded my 6-10 cabinet with J.B.L's and it sounded great for bass with my Model T!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which JBL's?
Isaac

Offline fatlizzard

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2007, 06:28:26 am »
I believe they were D-110's,I had a 2-15 and 18" folded horn to even out the sound!
Ran my Rick Bass stereo with bridge pickup through Model T into 6-10 and neck pickup through  a 400B into 2-15 and 18 horn,sounded loud and clean,wish I still had it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2007, 05:20:42 pm »
I couldn't think of any JBLs that would give much in the way of lows in that cabinet. But, as a mid/high cabinet, I'm sure it rocked!
Isaac