Author Topic: Sunn Solarus lots of hum  (Read 29407 times)

Offline kupervaser

Sunn Solarus lots of hum
« on: March 14, 2011, 05:49:10 pm »
I bought a Sunn Solarus amplifier from ebay.
The seller said it was all original and he also sent me the tubes. The tubes are 6550. However the transformers do not look that big to me.
Can you check the pictures and give me some ideas on what tubes should be there?

Here are the pictures:

And another thing. I am in Europe. What is the best way to handle, convert this heat to 240 volts with a built in step down transformer, or get a portable transformer?
Is the convertion with a built in transformer difficult? Are there any partsto be changed or just adding a transformer?

Thanx
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 06:04:57 pm by kupervaser »

Offline mckinnon audio

Re: Sunn Solarus some help
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 08:24:29 am »
   Hi there,I think it's an older one,look on the front under the name to see where the amp is made.If it says Portland Oregon,it's the older version,should have a pair of EL 34's,(6CA7's) for outputs.Check the phase inverter tube,older models have a 7199,newer ones have a 6AN8 (A).The older ones have the 16 and 8 ohm stickers on the back,where the newer ones had 8 and 4 ohm stickers.As far as the AC goes,I would get an external AC step down transformer rather than try to mount one in the amp itself.Good luck,Mel.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 10:44:19 am »
I think so too, those definitely look like the 40 watt trannies.

Offline Oli

• FEED YOUR HEAD!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 12:02:00 pm »
Hi,

I live in Germany (with 230V/50Hz :wink:) and use the step down transformators as well, no problem.

Sorry with the tubes, I`ve Sorados and 2000S, they all take the 6550/KT 88.

Greetings

Oli

SUNN Sorado - 1969 / SUNN 2000S - 1970 / SUNN Sorado  - 1971 / SUNN 350B - 1973 / SUNN Coliseum 880 - 1973 / SUNN Concert Bass - 1972 / SUNN Concert Bass - 1979 / 2x SUNN 215B - 1970/75 / SUNN/SAD 2000S cab

Offline kupervaser

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 04:38:01 pm »
Thanx,

It is made in Oregon:

Just asked the seller again and he told me KT88 are the right tubes. He got them out of the amp and stored in it.

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 04:53:30 pm »
Ask the seller where the reverb tank is.

Offline mckinnon audio

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 06:30:32 pm »
  Hi there,the mains fuse is 2 amps,I believe on the KT88/6550 model it is a 4 amp circuit breaker,plus like Ed says,the tranny's are too small,I really think it's a 40 watt model that has the wrong output tubes in it,Mel.

Offline kupervaser

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 08:25:00 am »
do el34 en kt88 have the same pinout than? thanx

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 12:38:36 pm »
  Hi there,the mains fuse is 2 amps,I believe on the KT88/6550 model it is a 4 amp circuit breaker,plus like Ed says,the tranny's are too small,I really think it's a 40 watt model that has the wrong output tubes in it,Mel.

All of my 6550 models have a 3 amp slo-blo fuse. I agree that the transformers look too small.
Isaac

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 02:23:03 pm »
do el34 en kt88 have the same pinout than? thanx

Not really the same, pin 1 is the suppressor grid in the EL34, but in your amp you can plug in a KT88; the pinout isn't the issue IMO.
I think the issue is the current draw requirements for a KT88, 100ma more for the heater, more plate current, etc. vs. an EL34 taxing that little power transformer, the one everyone keeps mentioning as being "too small".
The entire power supply would be working a lot harder, and it's already working it's little butt off with EL34's installed. I doubt (but don't know for sure) if you could even get the bias close enough to spec with a pair of KT88's installed.
Here's another indicator as to it being a less than good idea; those fuses that also keep getting mentioned, why do you imagine that they are only 2 amp while the KT88/6550 amps require a 3-4 amp fuse?

Also, why you would want to use the KT88's? You know you wouldn't get more power using KT88's in that amp, right?

I'm not trying to be obnoxious, I'm just curious as to why you would want to. If I'm missing something I'd like to know...  :-D

Offline kupervaser

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 02:55:52 pm »
It is not that I really want to use the KT88 tubes. It is that the seller sold me this amplifier in none working condition and he included a pair of KT88 tubes as original tubes. Already twice he assured me that those are the tubes which has been used in this amplifier before it broke down. I am just trying to find out which tubes I need to use when I will start repairing (or at least search for a problem) this amplifier. I really don;t care which tubes to use as long as the amp starts working. I like the sound of EL34. ALl the amps I own have EL34 in them.

Thanx

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 07:31:11 am »
It is not that I really want to use the KT88 tubes. It is that the seller sold me this amplifier in none working condition and he included a pair of KT88 tubes as original tubes. Already twice he assured me that those are the tubes which has been used in this amplifier before it broke down. I am just trying to find out which tubes I need to use when I will start repairing (or at least search for a problem) this amplifier. I really don;t care which tubes to use as long as the amp starts working. I like the sound of EL34. ALl the amps I own have EL34 in them.

Thanx

I think the seller was "confused", however if you got a pair of KT88's that are period correct for that amp as part of the deal, and they are healthy, I'd say you probably did OK.
What is the amp doing/not doing?

Offline kupervaser

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 08:12:58 am »
I am not sure yet. I haven't plugged it in yet. I need a step down transformer first.

This was the description:

SUNN SOLARUS TUBE AMP
 1968 vintage tube sound!
This amp worked great for years.
Sounded amazing!
1 day it just would not turn on.
I never got into it to look.
It has been sitting for a couple years now. Stored in a climate controlled room.
This is a good chance to get a great deal.
Could be a simple fix. I have no idea. I am tired of it just sitting.
These are not easy to come by.
If I did not have too many amps as it is, I would get this running again!
The tubes were yanked out and stored. I could use the tubes in other amps, but if the amp breaks 300, I will include them.

THIS IS SOLD AS IS!

I got it for $435 which is nog bad if you are in Europe.

Offline woody2762

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 08:43:44 am »
As you look at the back of the amp, the far left tube should be GZ-34 and the two in the right-center-front should be an EL34 pair.