Author Topic: settings for a beta lead?  (Read 8552 times)

Offline lordofslumber

settings for a beta lead?
« on: June 11, 2006, 03:20:38 pm »
I just picked up a Beta Lead head and I am looking for some suggestions as to how I should set it up... you know to get a wider range of sounds out of it... basically I'm asking for some shortcuts to the arduous process of dialing in new sounds over and over again.  I've heard that these heads are the most versatile heads out there and can get you near any kind of tone you want from the classic Sunn roar to a Marshall brown tone...

Help?

Offline matthias

Re: settings for a beta lead?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 08:48:43 am »
sorry L.O.S.
There are no short cuts.
too many variables.
the guitar.
the pick-ups.
the load.
speaker size.
speaker wattage.
cabinet dimensions.
the room.
and most important..........
how you feel that day.
-Matthias
I'm not the one you're thinking of.

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 08:17:34 am »

Hmm... you can get a wide range of sounds out of a beta lead but I've never thought of it as emulating another amp.  It sounds pretty good as itself!  Finding a sound you like shouldn't be arduous.  I find it a lot of fun!!

This is how I use mine.  I don't have a footswitch and probably wouldn't use it if I did.  I plug into the both channel input.

I set the A channel up for treble.  Drive=4, bass=0, mid=0, treble=10, reverb=6, level=5.  I set the B channel up for bass.  Drive=6, bass=10, mid=0, treble=0, reverb=2, level=5.  Then I set the master volume.  This gives me a slightly crunchy sounding bass and a clear treble and the guitar volume control is able to clean it up nicely when turned down.

From these basic settings I experiment. Want more treble I can turn the A level up or the B level down.  Want more bass I can turn the A level down or the B level up.  Based on the guitar: I may adjust the mid controls.  A channel for more cleaner mids or the B channel for more crunchy mids.  I may have to adjust the drive controls slightly.

But once I get it set to where I like it, the master volume is about the only control I adjust from that point on.

Offline lordofslumber

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 12:15:02 pm »
Thanks a lot for that I can sort of tweak that and go from there... it's not that finding a sound is a pain or no fun, it's that I don't have a lot of time to set up my rig and go for it right now.  It's packed up waiting for a gig tonight and has been for the last couple of weeks... it's been really steady gigging for a while now with no time... I've not been satisfied with the sounds I've gotten.  This thing isn't as easy to run with as a Marshall.

Anyway,  thanks. 

rick.heil

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 02:22:20 pm »
hey, if you don't like tweaking it, i'll gladly take it off your hands  :mrgreen:

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 05:32:57 pm »
hey, if you don't like tweaking it, i'll gladly take it off your hands  :mrgreen:

:-D  :-D And for free too I'll bet!!

LordOfSlumber - One thing that might help your tweaking is how the bass, mid and treble controls work.  They are not set up like the conventional tone stack as used by Marshall and Fender amps.

The treble and bass controls - are "shelving controls.  Think of two shelves - one moving up above the other.  The Beta series splits off bass and treble frequencies and feed them to what you could consider to be a volume control - so what you are doing when you tweak these controls is adjusting their relative volume.  The traditional controls are much more interactive than this arrangement.

The mid control also works differently.  As you turn it up you are not only increasing the level of mids, but you are also adjusting the "Q" or the selectivity of the bandpass filter that makes up the middle control.  This means that the more mids you dial in, the sharper sounding they become.

rick.heil

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 11:03:32 am »
JoeArthur is right...the mid control isnt a "fixed Q" as one would expect from some amps.... if you're not familiar with parametric EQs, look here for a quick explanation.
http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=53

as joearthur said, the more you increase the mids, the Q changes. not totally sure, but I'd guess that the band shifts a little up or down the frequency scale, depending on the condition of the circuit and basics like temperature and humidity.

the shelf explanation is great, joearthur  :-)

if you're having trouble with that, think if it as a high or low pass filter almost (if you're a PA geek like me, that is).  Its almost like setting up two brick walls at opposite ends of the sound spectrum, where only the sounds in between are heard.

at zero, the walls are on opposite sides of the mid-range.....(drawing time!)

<LOW--------------||Low Wall||--MIDS--||High Wall||----------------HIGH>

On the other hand, at 10 (or 11 if you're really cool, because making 10 louder just wouldnt cut it) it would be like this:

<LOW||Low Wall||---------------MIDS---------------||High Wall||High>

Like joearthur said, the low and high are more like volume controls than anything else.

rick.heil

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 01:12:03 pm »
here, check this link from the original service manuals (shweet!)

http://sunn.ampage.org/svcmans/beta/betamanual8.jpg

Offline lordofslumber

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 04:24:19 pm »
Thanks for all the help!  I don't understand the thing to save my life.  As a player I tend to worry more about actually playing, rather than the amp... this thing is pretty contrary to the last several I've owned! 

here is what I've come up with:

running both channels at once the drives are dimed out.  the bass is at 5 for A and 10 for B; the mids are at 5 for A and 7.5 for B; The highs are dimed for A and at 5 for B; the reverb is 0ed out; the levels are both dimed and the master is, of course whatever needs be.  I like it pretty well so far.

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 09:48:30 am »
the reverb is 0ed out; the levels are both dimed and the master is, of course whatever needs be.

If you don't use the reverb at all, then there is certainly nothing wrong with this setting.  Getting the sound you want is the important thing.

However if you do get around to using reverb, know that the reverb control functions as a "dwell" and determines how hard the reverb tank is driven.  The reverb volume level, what the reverb knob on other amps control, is more or less "preset" for the beta lead.  You can demonstrate this by setting the reverb controls at 10 and both channel levels to ZERO.  Nothing but reverb!!

The trick is to vary the "dry" signal using the Level controls since the reverb signal bypasses them.  With the levels all at 10, your reverb even at 10 will seem pretty weak.  This is not a problem with the amp, it's the way it was designed.

Offline lordofslumber

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2006, 12:15:21 pm »
wow... this thing is way more complex than the average amp...  :-o

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2006, 05:05:00 pm »
wow... this thing is way more complex than the average amp...  :-o

This is almost too easy... but I would never pass this up simply because it is easy.

The Beta Lead is not your average amp!! Never has been, never will be. 

In the immortal words of "the Thing"... "'nuff said!!"

:-D

Enjoy!!

Offline lordofslumber

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2006, 07:17:42 am »
 :lol:
I appricate that, but holy fuck...

rick.heil

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2006, 08:32:25 am »
theres a pic i  came accross, some guy's beta lead head.  in classic style, he had a piece of duct tape with the settings for each know below the logo....here they are:

Drive - 6
Bass - 4
Mid - 2
Treb - 4
Reverb - 2
Level - 7
(Master - 4 ->he plays loud, i guess).

hope it helps!