Author Topic: power amp advice wanted  (Read 1778 times)

Offline RxJxVx

power amp advice wanted
« on: April 07, 2007, 03:18:58 am »
i have recently decided to install some 600w speakers in an old Sunn 215 after taking the original speakers to replace the speakers in a Kustom 215 (one of the speakers burst into flames a while back, and upon inspection i determined the cab was actually wired in series, much to my surprise).

my question is:  if i actually had enough power to really push the 1200w cabinet i'm creating, would the cabinet be able to handle it, structurally speaking?  the Sunn 215(i think it's a 215S?) appears to be in very good condition for its age, but from what i can tell it was designed to handle 160w about 40 years ago.

also,  is there anything out there i can SAFELY use to power this (presently i'm running a concert bass into a coliseum slave and it sounds pretty sweet) cabinet and my 1200w Aguilar 4x12 simultaneously?

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
Re: power amp advice wanted
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 05:55:48 am »
Interesting, I have never considered this question before.

I have a 115BH that buzzed when I bought it ($100.00, couldn't pass it up). It turned out to be the front baffle. I put some silicone caulk around the loose side and ran some screws into it. It does not buzz now.

I suppose one could always add some stiffening 1X2's or larger inside on the sides and back but I don't think one would know if the sound pressure will pop joints until one tries. I wouldn't think so.

I say try it and see.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 08:25:49 am »
Sunn cabinets have always been among the best-built cabinets. I wouldn't worry about the cabinet being able to take it.
Isaac

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 08:19:57 am »
i have recently decided to install some 600w speakers in an old Sunn 215 after taking the original speakers to replace the speakers in a Kustom 215 (one of the speakers burst into flames a while back, and upon inspection i determined the cab was actually wired in series, much to my surprise).
Flames? Actual flames, or are you using a metaphor? Also, I would think that speakers wired in series would be much less likely (by about half) than speakers wired in parallel, to be damaged by too much solid state power.
my question is:  if i actually had enough power to really push the 1200w cabinet i'm creating, would the cabinet be able to handle it, structurally speaking?  the Sunn 215(i think it's a 215S?) appears to be in very good condition for its age, but from what i can tell it was designed to handle 160w about 40 years ago.
I'm not aware of any driver that won't fry long before you even begin to structurally hurt an old Sunn 2X15.
also,  is there anything out there i can SAFELY use to power this (presently i'm running a concert bass into a coliseum slave and it sounds pretty sweet) cabinet and my 1200w Aguilar 4x12 simultaneously?
I don't think I understand this question. What wouldn't be "safe" to use? You have a cabinet rated for 1200 watts continuous @ 4 ohms and one rated for 600 watts continuous @ 4 ohms.
That's a bunch.
What are you asking?

Offline rick.heil

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 07:38:37 am »
I don't think I understand this question. What wouldn't be "safe" to use? You have a cabinet rated for 1200 watts continuous @ 4 ohms and one rated for 600 watts continuous @ 4 ohms.
That's a bunch.
What are you asking?

I think he's asking how he can get the thing to break the teeth of small children from three city blocks away.  :-o

Offline RxJxVx

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 03:08:44 pm »
the Kustom 215 actually caught fire.  i am a bit of a novice when it comes to impedance, electronics, etc.  and i only began to concern myself with such things AFTER the Kustom speaker caught fire.  i have since replaced the speakers / re-wired the cab and all my cabs are wired properly.  i want to push the 2 1200w cabs as hard as i can but i don't want to buy a fire extinguisher.   i suppose the word "SAFELY" may have been misused.  i am wondering if anyone has suggestions as to a reliable, semi-affordable power amp with enough power to push both cabs simultaneously.  and i wouldn't mind breaking a few teeth.