Author Topic: Enforcer Head  (Read 3916 times)

Offline Josh Boone

Enforcer Head
« on: March 02, 2015, 08:28:08 pm »
I have an old Sunn Enforcer amp that I recently went through to get it back on its feet. This is very loud with a super tone. I also love the reverb and preamp distortion. I don't love the console its in, it looks very "eighties", with a lot of plastic. I am considering putting it in a vintage looking Fender style Tolex wrapped console. Would that hurt the value of this amp? Is it even worth much money to begin with? These are so rare, I can't place a value on it.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 07:38:01 am by EdBass »

Offline Watson

• House Kustoms Guitars and Amps
Re: Enforcer Head
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 07:32:15 am »
Although sought by few, it is one of the few amps I have that I would never part with.  With both fender-like and marshall-like equalization in the A & B channels and the ability to mix them both via the footswitch, it is a versatile beast.  SUNN was in the middle of their 3rd production run of Enforcers when Fender acquired SUNN from the Hartzell Group and shut them down following Bill Hartzell's death in a plane crash.

Records aren't available to pinpoint the exact number made but each production run involved 50 units; a mix of heads and combo units; so more than 100 but less than 150 were ever made.  It would affect its value to place it in a different cab but then again value is only important if it is your intent to sell it. 

A fully-functional head with the footswitch will likely sell quickly for $500, more under the right circumstance i.e., auction with more than 1 interested bidder. 

Post a picture of yours if you have one.

Offline Watson

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 08:11:23 am »
It appears I was off on the current perceived value of the Enforcers.  This head with a broken reverb and some non-standard mods just sold for $775 on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Musical-Instruments-Gear-/619/i.html?_sop=10&LH_Complete=1&_nkw=sunn+%28enforcer%2Cpenetrator%29&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=3

Offline gutterrock

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 09:38:47 am »
I was watching that auction.  I really dislike the look of the Sunn badge on that one.  I am guessing that is possibly the last style Sunn logo before the Fender takeover?  Or, is this possibly the wrong badge on the amp?  I have seen this style logo on some of the cheaper Sunn labeled stuff that I guess Fender released in the 80's.  To the OP, I think I would leave that head as is.  Rare piece of history that will only climb in value like all Sunn amps.  The Model T syndrome has now trickled down to ALL Sunn amps.  It is only a matter of time before some Doom band proclaims the Enforcer as the ultimate amp!

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 11:14:30 am »
Although sought by few, it is one of the few amps I have that I would never part with.  With both fender-like and marshall-like equalization in the A & B channels and the ability to mix them both via the footswitch, it is a versatile beast.  SUNN was in the middle of their 3rd production run of Enforcers when Fender acquired SUNN from the Hartzell Group and shut them down following Bill Hartzell's death in a plane crash.

Records aren't available to pinpoint the exact number made but each production run involved 50 units; a mix of heads and combo units; so more than 100 but less than 150 were ever made.  It would affect its value to place it in a different cab but then again value is only important if it is your intent to sell it. 

A fully-functional head with the footswitch will likely sell quickly for $500, more under the right circumstance i.e., auction with more than 1 interested bidder. 

Post a picture of yours if you have one.

It appears I was off on the current perceived value of the Enforcers.  This head with a broken reverb and some non-standard mods just sold for $775 on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Musical-Instruments-Gear-/619/i.html?_sop=10&LH_Complete=1&_nkw=sunn+%28enforcer%2Cpenetrator%29&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=3

As well intentioned and fun as it may be to throw out speculative gear values on an internet forum, the above is a good example of why it is generally counterproductive and can contribute to devaluing the gear in question.
As a Sunn specific forum, this place would ideally be the source for real world values on the gear we all have a soft spot for, which is why I often come off as "jerkish" about the subject when it arises and am quick to point posters that have "what's it worth" questions to eBay completed auctions.

Sorry to use your posts as an example Watson, and there is no offense intended! If you had posted that you would personally pay $500 for a fully-functional Enforcer head with the foot switch, it wouldn't be "speculation"; I do that regularly when I'm directly asked about Sunn gear that has no recent sales history available.
Of course if I'm called out on my value number I'm then obligated to shell out the dough, and that has happened to me on a few occasions as well.
Sometimes for the good, sometimes not...

Offline Watson

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 12:06:26 pm »
And none taken...I'll bite my tongue the next time I feel compelled to offer an unsolicited opinion!  :-)

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 12:47:13 pm »
There are two versions of the Enforcer. Early units had a problem with JFET switching on the channels. Later units used relays and there is a way to modify (factory update) early units to use relays.

Link to informative thread: http://sunnforum.ampage.org/index.php/topic,9855.msg33981.html#msg33981