Author Topic: Original Sunn 412, original sunn transducer?  (Read 5400 times)

Offline beaucallies

Original Sunn 412, original sunn transducer?
« on: February 11, 2006, 03:58:45 pm »
I have 2 original Sunn 412sp. I was looking on ebay and saw another sunn 412sp with 1 original speaker, and 3 replacements. The thing is that all of my speakers look like his replacements. Are all of mine replacements, or does he have 3 originals and one Fender reissue? If anyone has any information on Sunn transducers, or cabinets please write. Thank you.

here's the guy's cab      http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Sunn-Transducer-412-SP-Guitar-Cabinet-4-X-12_W0QQitemZ7388681159QQcategoryZ43372QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline giovanni

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 09:45:55 pm »
those could be anything, he says he thinks those other speakers are old marshall 12s...  but the stickers are missing they could be celestions?  either way if the sound is good it might be worth buying....good luck trying to find the original transducer speakers....$$$

Offline beaucallies

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 12:07:17 pm »
But they're definately not something Sunn originally used?

Offline giovanni

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 04:41:56 pm »
no the original speaker is a sunn transducer...80w 16ohm, the other three are not sunn equiptment and were never used in sunn cabinets...  if the cabinet is in your price range i'd pick it up, however, and if you were to replace the speakers with v30s or even gk12s it would sound good.  plus the cab itself is sturdy and well built.

Offline giovanni

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 04:43:27 pm »
as for your speakers, they are probably replacements   what year is your cab?

Offline beaucallies

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 05:08:47 pm »
What year is it? Well It's supposedly from the early, or mid 70s. It has rubber pegs on the side so you can lay it down like that, and a gray grill cloth... Flip up metal handles. I remember the numbers on the back being twenty something, and fifty something... Is there an actual dating anywhere on the cab?

Offline beaucallies

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 05:17:55 pm »
Scratch the part about the flip up metal handles. I just read that on a different post and confused myself with Garey Busey.

Offline giovanni

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 10:20:43 pm »
ok i just found some sunn speakers for sale on ebay.... http://cgi.ebay.com/1980s-SUNN-Model-126-Chassis-Speaker-8-Ohms-80W-RMS_W0QQitemZ7389399997QQcategoryZ23794QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

they certainly don't look like the transducer model, so it is possible those speakers could be sunn speakers, just with the tag ripped off...  honestly your guess is as best as mine

Offline guitar_199

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 01:25:09 pm »
I am new to these parts and have a question that is relative to the cabinet in the Ebay pic linked above.  The reason I followed into this thread was that I thought that the cabinet might be the same kind that I have but now, I dont believe so......but then... I don't know what I DO have here either!!!

It looks very much like this cabinet ... it is a 4x12 and looks roughly the same dimensions.  A few differences are....

On the one pictured above, the back of the cabinet is sealed, there are no screws and it looks like the grill pops off and the speakers load in from the front.  On mine.... the back unscrews and the grill board SEEMS to be more permanently affixed and the speakers are loaded from behind.

Also....when this cabinet sits on its wheels the Sunn logo is in the correct (readable) position.  On mine the cabinet has four casters on one side for rolling but it has four metal "glide" feet on the adjacent side.  The Sunn logo reads correctly when the cabinet is sitting on the glides.  This leaves the casters hanging off of one of the sides.

Also this cabinet appears to be 8 ohms where mine is 16 ohms.

I have had the back off before and, if I remember correctly, two perhapse three of the four 12s have Sunn stickers on the back of them.  The other one(s) loo as though they might have been re-coned along the way.

It has two metal cup jack plates in the back with two jacks.

Can anyone tell me just what I have my hands on here?  As in what amp did it go with?  When might it have been made or sold?

I'd appreciate it ever so much.

Bob

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 09:00:09 am »
From your description, it sounds as though what you have is a 412S. This was Sunn's first square-format 4x12 cabinet, no doubt a response to the Marshall stacks of the late sixties. The other one sounds like a later model, perhaps from the Fender reissue era a few years back.
Isaac