Author Topic: new and in need of advise  (Read 1323 times)

Offline stevecara123

new and in need of advise
« on: January 08, 2007, 12:40:12 pm »
hi everyone, i'm looking to treat myself to a new bass amp. i am currently using a peavy max 450 with a 4 by 10" top cab and a black widow 1 by 15" bottom cab. I have been advised towards a sunn amp. Can anyone fill me in with quality, tones, sizes, prices and availability. that sort of stuff. please!!!! as much info as possible would be brilliant.

thanks alot

Offline Diagnol

Re: new and in need of advise
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 04:11:37 pm »
what music are you gonna play, what instrument do you have, do you want solid state or tube?

i can tell you that for me the sunn 300t bass head is THE bass head ever created :)

Offline pickinatit

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 11:30:03 am »
2000S  (Tube Amp) gives you whatever tone you need from the bassiest low end I ever heard to treble and punch any guitar player would love.

(Sunn Solarus for sale on e-bay right now also has great tone range similar to that of the 2000S, but is only 40 or 60 watts, so depends on your volume requirements)

The Concert Bass Amp (Solid State - Later Red Knob Model)  is very, very punchy in a  "Yes" (the group) sort of way.

Offline stevecara123

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 11:35:40 am »
thanks for your advise so far. I have a fender jazz at the moment but am also looking to upgrade to a musicman. I play in a band with three guitars, bass, drums, keys and a synth. We play post rock, progressive, heavy sort of stuff (isis, neurosis, godspeed you!black emperor), That sort of thing. I tune to d or drop c.

We play loud so i need something that can cope with big vox and marshall amps giving it some. I play both low and top end, mainly clean but sometimes with distortion or delay.

Please! as much as you can help me with. I really havn't got a clue but have heard Sunn are incredible amps.