Author Topic: Speaker load ?  (Read 1449 times)

Offline gtrplayr1976

• My 1st gen. Model T 1977
Speaker load ?
« on: October 06, 2010, 09:10:14 am »
Does it matter what type speaker (size , impedance) you have connected to an amp head as long as it puts a load on the output ?  I'm talkin any loose speaker lying around. 

Thanks  :-D

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Speaker load ?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 09:43:24 am »
Impedance, yes. More so with an all tube amp, but even with transistor amps it's a good idea to keep the impedance above the amp's minimum safe load.

If there is any question about a speakers impedance, this is what I suggested in a recent similar thread; it's so inexpensive that IMO there is really no reason not to follow it:

I suggest that anybody doing any wiring work, particularly gigging players that may need to "wing it" on the fly in an emergency, get a multimeter to avoid catastrophes. Wall voltage, speaker impedance, battery life, cable continuity, and many other things can be reliably checked out in short order.
Particularly with how inexpensive they are; here's one for $3.50.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-90899.html

You probably spend more than that on gas getting to a gig.  :wink:

Also, the battery test detailed here;

http://sunn.ampage.org/sdp/index.php/topic,5585.0.html

is a good way to make sure everything is copacetic before you apply big power to your new wiring.

Also, since you used the term “loose speaker” I’ll mention that a loose speaker; as in not in an enclosure of some sort, will cancel itself out. There is as much sound pressure coming from the back of most drivers as the front, but… 180 degrees out of phase with the sound coming from the front.
If you don’t isolate or somehow otherwise control the back pressure, the two can largely cancel themselves out.

Offline gtrplayr1976

• My 1st gen. Model T 1977
Re: Speaker load ?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 09:57:20 am »
Thank you.  I do have a multimeter. I just wanted to make sure I have a load on an amp I'm working on (Model T) before I power it up to troubleshoot. I thought about making a dummy load, but I do have a cabinet , so I can use that. 

Thanks for the info. :-D