Author Topic: Sunn Coliseum P.A.  (Read 1752 times)

Offline Brandon Bell

Sunn Coliseum P.A.
« on: August 05, 1999, 05:30:00 pm »
If you could put some information about this amp on your net page, that would be great!  I have one and need all the info I can get because I want to do some minor amp mods.  Thanks, Brandon

Offline mrbassman

Sunn Coliseum P.A.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 1999, 05:11:00 pm »
I remeber the Col. PA around 1970 had Cabs that were sold as a pair of 200S boxes with JBL D140's for the lows and a matching width cab with a JBL Acoustic lens horn with the big 375 (later 2440) driver. This was a horh with a rippled aluminum grill fins in front of it to "slow down" the highs and disperse them across the room.  (They were finished in gold annodizing just like an early Fender pickguard!)  They worked very well to cut down the harsness of the horns. There were also a pair of JBL Bullet tweeters mounted in the bass ports of the cabs.  They used JBL passive crossovers mounted on the back of the horn cabs.  The Head was a four channel version of a 100S (or 1000S) Guitar head. It was costly with all those JBL components at the time, but the one I heard would knock an Altec Voice of the Theater over!(which were very popular with most bands around then)  
    I agree with Sunnboy's history about the company.  When they switched the entire line to solid state which were IMHO of very poor quality, that was the beginning of the end.  I had and know of many of the Concert amps that would overheat and fry, especially if the impedance was off!  The Model T was too little too late.  If they had stuck to a tube line like Fender, Ampeg and Marshall, (all of whose early solid state lines failed) they'd have probably still been around today!  Any comments?