Author Topic: Model T with black chassis  (Read 5194 times)

Offline buzzsunn

Model T with black chassis
« on: August 31, 2012, 02:05:17 am »
Model T with black chassis

Hey there!
Just bought from mr akindle (great guy by the way and was to kind to ship the amp over to Greece!) a first gen Sunn Model T.
I have a question for all of you Sunn experts…

As you can see from the pics, the chassis in my amp is black! I have never seen one like that and all the Ts are silver with black lettering.
Any ideas what that is?? I spotted the following:
-   The chassis couldn’t been painted, cause the transformers as well as the big capacitor don’t have any paint spots (it would be a pain in the ass to remove them in order to paint the chassis in second hand).
-   The lettering (stencil) seem to be done very carefully! IF someone did it after I have to say that has done an amazing job hehe!
-   In the back the amp you can’t see the “Circuit Breaker” but in the same place there is a fuse holder.
-   From the internal shots and the face plate you can say that the amp is pretty original (except some parts but that’s fine).

Any info is much appreciated.

check and contribute: http://postyourrig.blogspot.com/

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: Model T with black chassis
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 11:51:32 am »
I've not seen one like that before.
Isaac

Offline buzzsunn

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 01:44:07 am »

Isaac thanks. I haven't seen one like that either!
An update from the pics (since the amp is still at customs).

As you can see from the pics there is another little difference in the face plate.
There are two vertical black lines that they are not present in the most Ts I have seen.

The only one like this (from a LOT internet search) is the one attached with the painted white metallic grill.

Any thoughts welcome!!

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 06:07:53 am »
I can't help with the black chassis issue since I don't really know a whole lot about Model T's, but I noticed that the tolex also seems different. In the closeups of the faceplate it's not the traditional Sunn tolex, it looks more like ASC's popular "Bronco" style.

The one pictured with the white painted grill looks like it's wearing traditional Sunn tolex. Was that "Bronco" style tolex ever OEM on Model T's, or did they use the same tolex as the other Sunns from that era?

Offline buzzsunn

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 07:54:33 am »
EdBass thanks for your time!
This actually is a photo trick...
The amp without the cab in the pic, is on top of another amplifier! The tolex you say is not from the T.
Here is the original

Thanks again for your feedback!

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 07:21:07 pm »
Duh! I should pay closer attention! Now, someone figure out the black chassis thing. It sure looks like "factory" to me, could it be an export model? Did they even have such a thing as export model Model T's, such as some of the Spanish labelled Concert series that pop up now and again?

Offline buzzsunn

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 12:31:30 am »
Though that too!
But this scenario doesn't stand. I am buying the amp from US and actually is ratted @120.
I also haven't heard any other export models from that era (the Concert example I also hear it from the first time  :-)).
I'm glad you can see also that the chassis looks like "factory" and it's not only my idea! Maybe an early T model???

Anyway when the amp clears from customs, I will do a more detailed search on the inside searching for any signs or a date or something!

Offline jaywalker

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 02:02:22 pm »
This is interesting. Looks like a factory job to me and I'd guess it's an early production. Makes sense to eliminate the need for all that black paint w/ white lettering...just leave the chassis raw and use black lettering as a cost cutter. Maybe yours will have a darker tone (smiling emoticon here). That convenience outlet looks slightly different than mine with it's rivet or screw in the center.
When you finally get the amp could you look for pot date codes, tranny codes and even check the caps?

Offline buzzsunn

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 09:30:10 am »
This is interesting. Looks like a factory job to me and I'd guess it's an early production. Makes sense to eliminate the need for all that black paint w/ white lettering...just leave the chassis raw and use black lettering as a cost cutter. Maybe yours will have a darker tone (smiling emoticon here). That convenience outlet looks slightly different than mine with it's rivet or screw in the center.
When you finally get the amp could you look for pot date codes, tranny codes and even check the caps?
Well said!!
Your point about the cost cutter makes sense. The darker tone is the reason I bought it (hahaha!!).
When you say "the convenience outlet" you mean the ohm selector?? If so, yes it's different than other Ts.

Will definitely look for any pot date code etc. Are you (or anyone) able to identify these codes??

There is a similar thread from stanner who asks for any info in order to date his Model Ts, but I don't see any answers...

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 10:33:29 am »
In the back the amp you can’t see the “Circuit Breaker” but in the same place there is a fuse holder.

I would say that a fuse rather than the customary (I assume from this description) circuit breaker would support the very early production hypothesis. Not conclusive of course, but generally circuit breakers were a "modernization" upgrade from replaceable fuses.

The convenience outlet is the auxiliary AC outlet on the back; speaking of which, were all Model T's three prong grounded chassis? The one in question obviously is, and if early production T's were not, then that would probably shoot my "breaker" theory and the early production theory out the window.

You don't actually have the amp yet, do you? There might be an inspection date somewhere on the chassis that would pretty much settle the age question.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 12:17:03 pm by EdBass »

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 04:15:44 pm »
I think all Model T amps were 3-prong.
Isaac

Offline buzzsunn

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 02:08:05 am »
An update here.
Got the amp from Customs yesterday. It is in very good shape and I am very exited!!
Unfortunately the inspection date says that the T is from 1974. So (as it seems) the "early production model" theory couldn't be valid.

Again my first feedback is correct. The chasiss is definetly original (not painted etc).
If anyone has any ideas let me know. What matters is that the amp is already at my tech, and can't wait to plug it in and enjoy! :-)

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 08:23:10 pm »
where is that inspection sticker located on your T?  I've never figured that out-they are not obvious to me.
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline buzzsunn

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 11:56:29 pm »
Mine is located at the right side of the chassis. It is actually from the outside of the chassis (not where all the wiring is) but you have to remove the amp from the cabinet in order to spot it.
This would be a pain in the @ss for you (if you consider the amount of Ts you have...)

I'll try to take o more detailed pic in the weekend.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 12:04:17 am by buzzsunn »