Author Topic: Where can I get transistors for my Sunn amp  (Read 3041 times)

Offline Holger

Where can I get transistors for my Sunn amp
« on: August 08, 2001, 10:10:00 am »
Help!!!
After a very long and hard mission to track down the problem of my Sunn Coliseum Bass I finally found out that one transistor is broken, which I have to replace. Now the problem is that I'm from Europe (Germany) and this little bastard of transistor seems to be completely unknown to any European electronics shop.
It goes by the name: MPS4888 and is located on the poweramp circuit board.
Now I need all help available to get this transistor or any useful information about it. Can I use a similar one or does it have to be this and only this one, Are there any companies who produce the same kinds only with a different name. Anything. Are there shops where I could order it? Does Sunn/Fender maybe sell those, does anyone out there maybe have one around?
Otherwise I will have to dump my Sunn Amp just because of a tiny 60 pence part!!!!!
Heeeelp!!!
Holger

Offline Don T.

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2001, 12:06:00 pm »
Hello Holger:
 Mouser (1-800-346-6873) may be able to help you cross it over. NTE (1-800-631-1520) may also be able to help.
 The closest match would probably be a 2n3904(NPN) or 2n3906(PNP) as these are pretty standard medium current transistors. They seem to work well in pre sections, will handle 1 amp (more than enough) and are real stable. I have used them successfully in older gear when parts are no longer available.
Don T.
Don T.

If it's too loud, you're too old.

Offline Holger

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2001, 04:49:00 pm »
Cool!, Thanks
I hope this is the last bit on my way to the sound.

Holger