Author Topic: QUESTION about - Sunn 4x12 Cabinets  (Read 5437 times)

Offline dc10bass

QUESTION about - Sunn 4x12 Cabinets
« on: July 23, 2007, 02:00:47 pm »
Anyone out there using an early 70's or Fender reissue Sunn 4x12 cabinet for bass?

I want to run a Coliseum lead into two 4x12 cabinets.
The Fender reissue cabs are rated at 16 ohms, with two cabs that would give me an 8 ohm load off the Coliseum Lead.

I also found a 70's Sunn 4x12 I could use that was rated at 8ohms / 300 watts.

I'm bi-amping (hi/low)
My other amp I'm using in conjunction with the Coliseum Lead is a Coliseum Bass head running into two 1x18 Sunn cabs.

Anyone's comments would greatly be appreciated!!!!!!

Thanks,

Curt

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: QUESTION about - Sunn 4x12 Cabinets
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 09:28:25 am »
I think it will be loud, but lacking on the low end. If you like that sound, go for it.
Isaac

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 12:27:15 pm »
I think it will be loud, but lacking on the low end. If you like that sound, go for it.

Did you miss the biamping part? I'm assuming he wants to use the 12s for treble.

Offline basiklybass

• My Sunn's
    • The Old Days
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 04:09:12 pm »
2 18's and 4 12's.....IMHO it will be loud enough...to wake the dead...and have enough low end to bounce them out of their graves....

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 10:04:26 am »
Yeah, I missed the bi-amping part.
Isaac

Offline dc10bass

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 01:13:56 pm »
Yes... bi-amping.
I'm trying to build Entwistle's early 70's Sunn rig.
I play in a WHO tribute band out of Detroit called The OHM.

www.theohm.net

I already play a Fenderbird, so this will complete the gear.

Although I've read that he used an electronic crossover, but don't know which one.
I called "dbx" to see if it was as easy as me running my line out from my bass into the input of a dbx 233 crossover,
but they said it wouldn't work how I want it to. I thought I could run the hi freq to my Coliseum Lead and the low freq to my Coliseum Bass.

Anyone have any comments regarding the crossover element of this rig?

THANKS!

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 03:40:51 pm »
Yes... bi-amping.
I'm trying to build Entwistle's early 70's Sunn rig.
I play in a WHO tribute band out of Detroit called The OHM.

www.theohm.net

I already play a Fenderbird, so this will complete the gear.

Although I've read that he used an electronic crossover, but don't know which one.
I called "dbx" to see if it was as easy as me running my line out from my bass into the input of a dbx 233 crossover,
but they said it wouldn't work how I want it to. I thought I could run the hi freq to my Coliseum Lead and the low freq to my Coliseum Bass.

Anyone have any comments regarding the crossover element of this rig?

THANKS!

Yeah, I have a comment regarding the crossover... why are you worried about it?

IIRC, around 1972 when Entwistle added the Coliseum 880 to his existing Coliseum Bass and Lead setup (going tri-amp), he dropped the crossover.

Now I don't claim to know his reason why, but my explanation would be self evident - I think he finally realized the tone control setup of the Coliseum series essentially made a separate crossover a moot point. It became a redundant piece of equipment.

If I were you, I'd cut the treble on the bass amp, and cut the bass on the treble amp and say "the heck with a crossover". It will only add more noise to your signal.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 06:37:11 pm »
You know the old saying, If it ain't broke...
I went to your website, and while I get your apparent pursuit of authenticity it sounds like that 300T is getting the job done quite nicely!
I love old Sunns, but how about the Ox's "Live at Leeds" era Hiwatt rig? You could probably duplicate that for about $15K or so.
Cool band, I'll bet it's a blast to play in.

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 06:40:00 pm »
Yeah, I missed the bi-amping part.

"Hey Rocky!! Watch me pull a rabbit out of the hat!"

Sorry, couldn't resist.  :oops:

Offline JoeArthur

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 07:18:55 pm »
You know the old saying, If it ain't broke...
I went to your website, and while I get your apparent pursuit of authenticity it sounds like that 300T is getting the job done quite nicely!
I love old Sunns, but how about the Ox's "Live at Leeds" era Hiwatt rig? You could probably duplicate that for about $15K or so.
Cool band, I'll bet it's a blast to play in.

Yeah, I don't know if this is what you are saying, but I am in complete agreement with what I think you are saying since it obviously supports my viewpoint.  :-D

About a week or so ago on VH1, one of the two channels anyway... probably the "classic", there was a special titled "Monterey 40" - a look back at the original 1967 Monterey music festival.

It was an interesting show, meaning from the perspective of today looking back to then. The special harped up the "disagreement" between The Who and Hendrix as to which one should go on first. Townshend... along with others such as Clapton, followed Hendrix around England, and Townshend didn't want to follow Hendrix. Both Hendrix and The Who were "relatively" unknowns at the time, but apparently based on a coin toss, The Who got to appear first.

The performances of the two - both cut way too short, were of course excellent.
Hendrix was Hendrix, and The Who was The Who. Excellent, Excellent, Excellent!!

You see... according to post-Monterey comments... The Who really couldn't have performed so Excellently. It must have all been an illusion.

The Who, unlike Hendrix, decided to leave behind their "real amps" in England, and they were "forced" to perform their 1967 USA tour as well as Monterey with (shudder) Thomas/Vox Super Beatles!!

But their performance proves they weren't hindered in the slightest way.

If you get a chance to catch it, it is worth watching.

Offline dc10bass

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 07:25:23 pm »
Thanks EdBass... yes, it is a lot of fun!
We just played a party for a guy who bought one of Entwistle’s Buzzard basses from the auction they had after he died… he even let me play it when we played “My Wife”!!!

I've been on the fence with this issue for a few years now...
I do love the Sunn 300T’s… heck I have two of them as well as two 2x15 Sunn cabs and three 4x10 Sunn cabs.
It really became a matter of finding the Sunn Coliseum heads and cabs at prices that I couldn't ignore.

If this isn't bad enough... I also have the following "Entwistle" rack gear from his 1989 thru 2002 era;
SansAmp PSA-1 (hi)
TC Electronics TC1128 (hi)
Yamaha SPX 1000 (hi)
Yamaha SPX 1000 (low)
Trace Elliot MP11 (low)

Trace Elliot PPA 600 (power amp) hi
Trace Elliot PPA 600 (power amp) low

...as well as a Digitech 2120 that I got for only $100.00!

Yes, I have compulsion issues!
Some one please help me....

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 07:49:15 pm »
Yes, I have compulsion issues!
Some one please help me....

Well, you didn’t specify what kind of help you are seeking, but I can tell you this;
You are on the wrong forum if you are looking for help curing a gear compulsion, and absolutely the right forum if you are seeking fuel for a gear compulsion

Offline dc10bass

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 08:22:38 pm »

So as far as using three amps; Coliseum Bass, 880, & Lead.
What is the best method for running one line from my bass to each of these amps?!

I was told by many in the know that using a Y cable splitter would degrade the signal,
but that would only give me two lines from one bass not three lines...

What should I do?

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER