Author Topic: The Sunn Catalog Thread  (Read 79079 times)

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: The Sunn Catalog Thread
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2022, 08:55:05 am »
A quick check with an inflation calculator tells me that a 200S, about $1000 in '69, would cost $7800 in today's dollars.

No wonder I couldn't afford one back then!
Isaac

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2022, 07:33:46 am »
In '69-'70 there was a music store that my friends and I would ride our bikes to so we could drool over things we would likely never have.  One summer, they had a two cab 2000S rig for a while.
As an aspiring bass playing rock star ( :wink:), I would stare at it in awe, never really imagining I'd ever have one, but fantasizing about how cool I would be strutting around on stage in my bell bottoms with my white coily cord plugged into that monster behind me. It was $1995. Just a number to a kid who usually had under a dollar in his pocket at any given time.

That $1995 number did hit home later that summer, when I noticed a bill board touting the New Ford Maverick for $1995. That registered in my brain as proof positive of how intangible my daydreams of ever having a 2000S of my own actually were. An amp that costs as much as a brand new car? Ridiculous!

I'd say that inflation estimate is pretty close to on target Isaac, and is probably why there aren't a whole bunch of 200S and even more so 2000S rigs around.

Offline Ryan Phelps

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2022, 09:48:42 am »
Yes! I grew up near the Sunn Tualatin factory and would write Sunn for catalogs. The prices seemed crazy-high to me and I thought only major rock stars could afford them. A local Portland band came to our high school for a Friday night sock-hop in the gym. They had a couple of big Sunn amps and I was awestruck! I always wondered how they afforded them. The best I could afford at the time was a used 1967 Fender Bassman!

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2022, 11:02:47 am »
 :-D I bought my first Bassman for $50 in '71, lots of hours of neighborhood yard work went into that purchase.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2022, 10:18:57 am »
A friend of mine died this past week. He had a near mint 1000S or 1200S setup. Two cabinets. Sounded like the voice of God.

I wonder what will become of it now.
Isaac