Author Topic: Recommendations for a 6550 Tubes for a Sunn Model T  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Orion

Recommendations for a 6550 Tubes for a Sunn Model T
« on: December 09, 2021, 03:12:45 pm »
Looking to replace my original 6550 tubes for my first generation Sunn Model T. I am looking for a set that distorts sooner rather than later. Searching for that Greg Anderson/Stephen O'Malley/Goatsnake sound. Any input would be appreciated.
1x Model T Reissue
1x Model T Second Generation
1x Model T First Generation
1x 1970's Sunn 4x12 Feng Speakers
1x 1970's Sunn 4x12 Original Sunn Alnico Speakers
1x 1970's Sunn 4x12 (Vertical / Staggered) Original Sunn Ceramic Speakers

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
Re: Recommendations for a 6550 Tubes for a Sunn Model T
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2021, 11:14:35 am »
Hm. Don't think I can help. I'm a bass player, and I'm more interested in getting maximum power before distortion.

FWIW, I use JJ Electronic tubes from eurotubes. You might get in touch with them.
Isaac

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 06:26:36 am »
I can't think of a power tube that is/was intentionally designed to break up early. Along the lines of Isaac's post, generally the goal in the tube game is to extract maximum power while keeping THD as low as possible.
I think that's particularly true in the realm of the big power tubes like the 6550 and KT88.

They'll all distort if you turn up enough, and from what little I know about the artists you mentioned I'm guessing they just crank 'em up.

That said some tubes break up earlier than others, and I second the idea of contacting Eurotubes. If anybody can help you in your quest it would be them.

Offline Kevin Sparka

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 05:01:30 pm »
Hey Orion,

Greg & Stephen are indeed cranking their Model T's but also running pedals into them...rats, green ringer, boost etc. In fact, the Earthquaker Life pedal is a combo of exactly that chain.

I am actually waiting on some JJ 6550's for my Solarus and it was the description on the Eurotubes site that pushed me in that direction (link below...scroll down to the 6550 part). I should have them this weekend and will update how they sound compared to the EHX I have in there now.

https://www.eurotubes.com/store/pc/how%20do%20the%20jjs%20compare.htm