Author Topic: serial number/dating question re:early 200s  (Read 2277 times)

Offline MikeL

serial number/dating question re:early 200s
« on: July 07, 2011, 05:37:28 pm »
I recently snagged a circa '66/'67 200s head(paired with what appears, by a date scrawled on the inside, to be an early/mid '69 2x15" cab, complete with the JBL D140f's and woven diagonal grillcloth). Aside from a few minor cosmetic/structural issues, a rare Craigslist triumph for $600(even though it took a 3-hour drive to pick it up). The head, of course, featured control numbers on the face plate, pointer control knobs that went counter-clockwise to increase volume, treble and bass, and a small metal smiley face serial number plate riveted to the chassis, the SN being just under '2000'. Were early SN's consecutive regardless of model(i.e. if a production run of 200s heads was followed by a run of 100s, and the last 200s was numbered '2050', would the first 100s be numbered '2051'(or would it start at '001')? Is there any way to ballpark the date of my head(there is no date written on the side of the chassis---I assume that started with the switch to numbered knobs and sticker serial numbers)? Thanks in advance.

Offline LPB

Re: serial number/dating question re:early 200s
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 07:55:28 pm »
 Congrats!!

I don't think the serial numbers are much use in determining the date or age. Minor changes in logos and materials can be useful I believe so some pictures, and I believe the surest bet is to get the date codes off of the internal components(pots, etc). I understand that dates, as well as other things, were sometimes scribbled onto the inside of the chassis as well as cabinets.

Sounds like it was worth the 3 hour drive!

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: serial number/dating question re:early 200s
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 08:30:18 pm »
Congrats!!

I don't think the serial numbers are much use in determining the date or age. Minor changes in logos and materials can be useful I believe so some pictures, and I believe the surest bet is to get the date codes off of the internal components(pots, etc). I understand that dates, as well as other things, were sometimes scribbled onto the inside of the chassis as well as cabinets.

Sounds like it was worth the 3 hour drive!

+1 to all of that. As far as I know also the serial numbers have no bearing on the dating, but I think the numbered faceplates were 1967. I don't think any of my amp's control knobs go backwards though, you must have one of those ultra rare left handed models.  :wink:
Nice score!