Author Topic: i want a pl-20...NOW!  (Read 6788 times)

Offline fenispotze

i want a pl-20...NOW!
« on: July 07, 2011, 06:50:53 am »
hey guys.
i'm new here. and i'm german. sorry for my bad english in the first place.
i know it's stoopid but i'm searching for that pl-20. and i want it so bad. i'm searching the whole internet.
if someone have one. working. and wants to get rid off it. i'll take it!
i know it sucks that i'm in germany and shipping will be very expensive but i would make sure that i bear the costs anyway. so please please please if anyone has one... please sell it to me.

and if not...what other amp is comparable to the pl-20. the normal beta lead head? if someone can help me out i'd be very thankfull for that. it would be not for nothing, you know? ;)

sorry , but i have no notion in electrics or mechanics or anything. so i don't have a clue of anything. please dont exploit that.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 08:20:31 am by EdBass »
be kind, i am gimpy.

Offline paco)))

Re: i want a pl-20...NOW!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 08:46:15 am »
Man, I have a nice one here fully working. Yes shipping would be a pain though. I'd be willing to part with it so make an offer! I'm in Oklahoma USA 73069.

Thanks!

Offline warandhairstyle

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 08:56:58 am »
If you can't find a PL-20 and you need something similar, you should check out the Monolith Magma.  It's a preamp based on the Beta circuit.

http://www.monolith-loudspeakers.com/magma-10-bass-preamp.html

When life gives you lemons, buy amplifiers.

Offline fenispotze

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 04:44:47 am »
thanks for that monolith amp advice. but before i look further to bass amps i'd still take a guitar amp becuase i think i know the difference to a bass amp. at least i can imagine.

but thank you for that advice i'm gonna check that one out now.
be kind, i am gimpy.

Offline paco)))

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 07:50:47 am »
Like I said, I have an original pl-20 here. Am I just too far away :-D

Offline paco)))

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 10:41:24 am »
Hey man, sorry that's an old email, try cjohnson99 at cox.net

Thanks,
Chris

Offline fenispotze

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 01:44:43 am »
AGAIN!
STILL SEARCHING FOR A PL-20!!!

pacos amp has been carried off to somebody else.

please if anyone could help. i bear the shipping costs. i swear!
ask your friends and not friends and every stranger that passes your way.
is there one person on this planet who wants to sell a working sunn pl-20???

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!
i'm so nuts on this amp...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 10:11:42 am by EdBass »
be kind, i am gimpy.

Offline fenispotze

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 02:57:26 am »
GUYS; I#M GONNA TERRORISE YOU AS OFTEN AS I CAN NOW:
DUDES PLEASE: 6892 Million people on this planet.
i know you want to sell a sunn pl-20. i know it!
i'm offering 500$.
be kind, i am gimpy.

Offline jdfarrell81

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 06:25:33 am »
Seriously mate, the Monolith Magma is the way to go. It's definitely not "just" a bass amp. Guitarists and bassists have generally used the various Betas interchangeably, and the Magma is no different. I'm primarily a guitarist, and I ordered a Magma. If you can live without onboard reverb, the Magma is ideal.

And, really, the biggest reason I advocate for the Monolith is a practical one: All of the Beta units are thirty or so years old, and no doubt some of them are reaching the end of their useful life. I'm sure there are plenty of Betas that will continue to kick ass for another decade, but considering the hassles associated with servicing solid-state gear, why not get a unit that will operate hassle free for years to come? 

Just my two cents, and good luck either way!

Offline fenispotze

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 04:57:14 am »
i've been trying to speak myself into a monolith dude but...seriously...it's too damn expensive. second problem is its just a pre-amp and i would need to get a power amp and a cabinet too. so i would have to put more money aside for about 3 or 5 years to make it loud, you know?
i've saved money for 9 months now and would be able to buy something about 500$, seriously.
for the rest i would save another 9 months that would be okay but lifes too short to save money all the time.
the reverb for me is a good excuse to not buy the monolith. and i don't want to accustom myself to a different sound.
i want to effin' play loud. but some drug addicts decided to steal my old hiwatt combo outta our room.
third problem is i live in germany....what do you think would be the shipping costs to it?

dude i play on a practise amp of the size of a... gamecube, man. together with the drummer. thats so damn stupid and frustrating.
i listened closely to hendrix, the melvins, the who and other loud weird stuff for some years now.
it's about the original tone you know?. the feeling i get when i listen to it. i'm not trying to copy any of them. i just feel the differences...know what i mean?
thats why i'm searching the hell out for a PL-20 or a beta lead pre-amp rack head whatever.
man, my english hasnt been as good as today.
be kind, i am gimpy.

Offline arenavore

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 11:50:08 pm »
I don't get it.  With a PL-20 you'd have to get a power amp and a cab as well.  I'd say, if you've saved up the money, and you're that desperate for a good loud amp, then don't fixate.  There are plenty of great amps out there that don't have the Sunn logo on them, and even more that aren't PL-20s.  If you only allow yourself to look for one kind of amp then you'll miss out on some potentially amazing stuff that could even cost considerably less.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 06:51:07 am »
I don't get it.  With a PL-20 you'd have to get a power amp and a cab as well.  I'd say, if you've saved up the money, and you're that desperate for a good loud amp, then don't fixate.  There are plenty of great amps out there that don't have the Sunn logo on them, and even more that aren't PL-20s.  If you only allow yourself to look for one kind of amp then you'll miss out on some potentially amazing stuff that could even cost considerably less.

C'mon man, that's just crazy talk.  :roll:

Offline arenavore

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 04:26:19 pm »
of course.  What was I thinking?  I must have been drunk or something.

Offline fenispotze

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 05:52:25 am »
i understand that i'm limiting myself with this choice of amp but i don't wanna collect a pile of amps until i find the best one you know?
problem is money. allways and allways will be.
still i would like to find out what the shipping costs would be for a beta lead or pl-20.
what if the pl-20 gets broken? is it repairable? is the beta lead more repairable?
where can i get all information?
marty mcfly? 1970? crazy doc?
a beta lead does anyone have a beta lead preamp rackhead?
it's not about the sunn logo shit. if i would be that stupid i would buy an adidas amp.
give me an example.
be kind, i am gimpy.