Author Topic: How Much Is A Mint 1968 Sorado Worth  (Read 2320 times)

Offline Ron 2013

How Much Is A Mint 1968 Sorado Worth
« on: January 03, 2019, 06:28:56 pm »
I have a 1968 Sorado that my father bought new in 1968. It was played sparingly and it is like brand new. I have the original bill of sale with the original lifetime warranty. Also the original covers. It really looks like it just came off the floor of Sam Ash (where it was bought). It has been stored in his finished heated and cooled basement since it was new. Any idea what it is worth? Thanks

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: How Much Is A Mint 1968 Sorado Worth
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 08:59:24 pm »
Yep, it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Check eBay completed auctions for actual sale prices, or Reverb for what people would like to sell them for.
If you want to sell it, figure out what it's worth to YOU, and list it here under the classifieds with a price. This isn't a bidding site, so you need to price it to list it, but if you put it on eBay with no reserve you will find out exactly "what it's worth".
Idle speculation on pricing from people who aren't willing to put their money on the table to back it up is useless as far as determining actual value.

Also, shipping on a 2X15 Sunn cab can be brutal; the size and weight can be restrictive. Local sites like Craig's List can possibly be an option, particularly in a big metro area like NYC. Local pickup can net you more dinero.

I think the Sorado was introduced as a 1969 model, if it was bought in '68 it's probably an early one. Not unusual, actual date in that era of Sunn get a little vague, and the Sorado amplifier was just a rebadged 200S. The Sorado speaker cab was a different internal design though, straight circular ported baffle and no JBL's rather than the ducted center port and JBL D140F's that the 200S cab came with.

Offline Ron 2013

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 09:10:00 am »
Thanks for the reply, it was informative. I will look around and see what people are asking for them. I figured what better place to ask than here (a Sunn site) for real numbers. I have been a hobbyist bass player my whole life and have a couple of GK amps. I don't really need this amp nor does my pop, he's 77 and hasn't played in a long time. Like you said it is big and heavy but it actually sounds really good when you mic it to record off it in a studio.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 01:05:46 pm »
It's not like there is an active market for old Sunns, particularly for complete old Sunns. The heads show up in spurts, however an entire rig is a pretty rare bird. They indeed sound great, however for most working bass players they are ridiculously impractical. Very cumbersome an anemic as compared to the 10 times more powerful class D amps and neodymium cab rigs that can be "one tripped" at load in with a bass in a gig bag over your shoulder, and are imported from Asia for a very low retail price point.
The demographic that are willing to buy a full Sunn rig is very narrow, however if you find someone that IS in that group they are generally pretty serious about it. CL. eBay or Reverb are probably your best options; I'm assuming it's still in the huge NYC metro since that's the only place Sam Ash was in '68. That area has to be one of the best areas to be trying to offload a 100+ pound classic bass amp.

Offline ducatidoc

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 06:44:07 pm »
Ed, I have to say I agree with every single thing you've written in this thread. I'm one of those guys like you referred to. I certainly don't need any more amps, and if I did, a vintage Sunn would probably be the least practical thing outside of maybe a full SVT or Acoustic 360.  But I like them anyway. That's what makes me a Sunnista. This is one of those things where I just tell myself "WTF?", and buy it because I want it. But yeah, if I'm gigging, I'm taking an amp that I can carry in one hand while the other carries my bass. I've climbed too many rickety staircases in my day.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 08:49:21 pm »
The vintage amps are a lot like vintage cars, uber bitchin' but not even close to as practical for daily work use. On the other hand, generally the new stuff doesn't evoke the passion of the vintage stuff. It's a trade off.
If we are lucky, we can get the best of both.
I'm fortunate that I'm in a band that has dedicated SR and lighting gear, AND the crew to run it. I can gig a 200S head over a 115 Sonic l-40 cab almost as an effect. I get my stage volume from a floor wedge, and FOH through the PA, run the old Sunn at about 4 with a Heil PR40 on it.

All I have to carry is that little Sunn and whatever basses I need - a trade off. No raging Sunn 2X15 cabs flapping my pants legs, however I still get the delicious Sunn tone. Not as easy to schlep as a Class D and a Neo cab, but you just can't get that thick rich tubey tone out of transistors.
A compromise I'm happy with.

I do miss having this behind me;

Do NOT miss the back breaking load outs at at 2:30 AM...

Offline ducatidoc

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 02:26:59 pm »
Suh-weet - a 2000s w two cabs. Enough to give you goosebumps.  Just curious: are all of your basses Fenders ? Reason I ask is that I notice my 2000S (one cab only, sadly) loves active basses. I don't have any Fenders any more, but my Hofner 5000/1 just doesn't seem to make it sing like my 'wicks or my workingman's special Schector Studio. Of course, you may have some outboard pre-amping going on as well.

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 09:29:16 am »
I have too many basses, but as I tell my wife "if I'm going to have a obsession, tube amps and bass guitars beat the hell out of Cocaine and prostitutes". I use that same excuse for my old cars, it's worked so far...

The the majority of my gigging basses are Fender.
I plug straight in, no preamps or effects. I only have a couple of active basses, a Hamer CH12L and a Yamaha RBX1000, neither of which have left the house in probably 10 years.
Over the years I've pretty much regressed to old school basics, taking a P bass with flats and a P bass with Rotosound rounds out for gigging.

Sometimes a Jazz, and I just bought another Limited Edition Jazz in Shell Pink that probably will need to go out the next chance I get.

She has a solid rosewood neck; neck, headstock and fretboard one chunk of wood, some sort of re-issue, very unique. Couldn't resist...

The Fender logo is laser etched into the headstock, hard to see in a photo.