Author Topic: SUNN photos anyone??  (Read 51769 times)

Offline mc2

SUNN photos anyone??
« on: October 22, 2006, 11:42:29 am »
How about everyone posting NEW pics of their Sunn gear? (I noticed the other pictures thread is waaay old and most of the links to pics are dead.)

Here's part (around half) of mine (ignore the 8-string basses)  :)

« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 04:46:21 pm by mc2 »

Offline .amy.

Re: SUNN photos anyone??
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 05:05:35 pm »
whoa!

Offline feel the sunn

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 07:20:03 pm »
Here's part (around half) of mine

:-o

Offline mc2

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 10:07:02 pm »
I really need to shoot a pic with ALL my SUNN stuff...couldn't do it in that room.  The coolest pieces in that shot are the top left head (Leslie West's prototype Sunn Colliseum Model T built on a 1200S chasis with Model T control layout and a master volume) and the rig at the right (one of the original Sunn heads with the top controls and it's matching 2x15 cab.)  It looks like it came out of the showroom yesterday, even the handle is still intact. It's also one of the few "transition" ones that has the later non-Smiley Sunn logos and regular non-paisley tolex. I believe they only made a handful like this, as  most had the smiley logos and paisley tolex.

BTW...those are all Hamer 8-strings. The cooelst one in the TBird one-off. You might recognize it from some Cheap Trick videos or live Concrete Blonde videos.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 11:43:41 am by mc2 »

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 01:12:22 pm »
so...do these great things get played?
or do you just sit and gaze(d)?
sorry i was tryin to rhyme
s
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline cromag

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 04:17:14 pm »
you ruined this thread already.   no one will want to post any pictures after that one.   nice collection though.   damn.

Offline mc2

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 06:05:37 pm »
so...do these great things get played?

I've used Sunn for nearly everything I've done live or in the studio...except for a brief moment of insanity when I sold my original 2000S rig thinking it was too heavy. Got an SWR rig for portability but it wasn't the same. Ended up in Sunn withdrawal and decided I HAD to have it back...and a backup.

So....I don't really use the biggest ones much at the moment. I mainly use the 200S and the Sonic I-40, with their correct bottoms for nornal 4- or 5-string playing.   I also play a lot of 8- and 12-string bass and for those I split the signal with an A/B box and run my lows to one of the above (2000S, 200S, I-40...depending on the gig) and the highs go to the respective Sunn guitar setup (1200S w/6x12, 100S w/smaller 6x12 or 6x10, Spectrum II w/ 2x12 or 4x12.) 

rick.heil

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 02:28:38 pm »
::drools::

Offline cosmic erosion

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 09:28:59 pm »
can you go into detail about the leslie west one a bit more? were there others. that's the next sunn i want. a leslie west one, Colliseum pa. so rad. what tubes are you running with it. anymore pics? sorry. just never seen that one and it intrigues me so much.

Offline mc2

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006, 07:25:12 pm »
can you go into detail about the leslie west one a bit more? were there others. that's the next sunn i want. a leslie west one, Colliseum pa. so rad. what tubes are you running with it. anymore pics? sorry. just never seen that one and it intrigues me so much.

Well...hate to bum you out but I'm pretty sure this is the ONLY "Coliseum Model T" on the planet. I shot a closer pic for you. The controls from left to right are: Brite, Normal, Bass, Mid, Treble, Presence and then a big honkin' Master knob smack dab in the middle of the Sunn emblem!! You can see that it's the size of an early 1200S/2000S head. I also uses four 6550 power tubes. The outputs are originally labeled as 16 and 8 Ohms but it was later changed to 8 and 4 Ohms and was hand labeled as such when I got it with the matching Sunn 4x12 bottom. The front label is definitely a factory one over whatever was originally on the head, like Sunn did in the early 70s over some of the tube heads when they changed some of the model names to the "190B" and such. What is sort of funny is that the T was handwritten at the factory and has quote marks around it (as in "T") so I wonder what it really stood for originally? I'm guessing that since it has the rough cntrol layout of the Model T that eventually went into production but was based on the four 6550 of the Coliseum P.A. head, that that's how they came up with the name on it...like it was to be a second generation of the Coliseum P.A. head more tailored to guitarists who were using that P.A. head for their instrument amp. This is only my guess. Would love to hear from someone who was there at Sunn and really knows the scoop on this.

This is totally different from the Coliseum P.A. heads that also used four 6550 power tubes. They had four indiviual channels, each with a voulme control and input and it was all crammed into the smaller Sunn chasis and case of a Solarus/200S/etc.....but at least you have a chance of finding one of those.

Offline cosmic erosion

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 08:17:31 pm »
thanks for the reply. that sure is one sweet head. "drools"

Offline fatlizzard

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2006, 03:29:28 pm »
Ignore the 8 string bases?hard to do!
Dumb question but do you have a 2000S cab in your collection?

Offline mc2

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2006, 04:49:28 pm »
Hi...Yeah. The Sunn stuff in the photo really is probably only around half my collection. The big cabs, Smiley heads, Sonic I-40 cabs and a lot of other stuff isn't in that shot. I was actually shooting my Hamer 8-strings (I run 8stringbass.com and 12stringbass.com that Bass Player Mag mentioned in it's recent cover story on Tom Petersson) ) at the time and set them up in front of whatever Sunn stuff was behind them. My place is such a mess that i really couldn't stage everything together. I WOULD like to do that before I sell anything else besides the one 2000S head recently.

I "MAY" (not definite) actually be selling a PAIR of 2000S cabs in the next couple of months. I really prefer the early style grill cloth on Sunn stuff and finally was able to put together a clean pair of early 2000S bottoms with the correct speakers this year. I also have  clean pair of the later silver rectangle grill pattern 2000S bottoms, which are the ones I might let go of at some point. I've got a few other monster Sunn cabs...(2) 1000S bottoms and a 1200S bottom, each with matching heads.

I may also let go of an early grill style Sonic I-40 cab, loaded with the correct original speaker and in pretty good shape (one very small repaired tear that is hard to even notice unless I tell you to look.)  A friend of mine in Hollywood who I trade with has first dibs on it for a name player and has to get back to me.

Part of the reason I stockpiled so much early big Sunn stuff, besides being a longtime users of it, was to use it as the backline in a retro music video shoot on a remake of a song it would be VERY appropriate for....but my longtime guitarist had a serious near fatal accident several years back and things got put on hold.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 04:56:50 pm by mc2 »

Offline cosmic erosion

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2006, 05:16:04 pm »
sorry to hear about your friend. that is a shame. i hope he's ok.