Author Topic: Sunn A212 Questions  (Read 22856 times)

Offline djc

Re: Sunn A212 Questions
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2009, 05:57:49 pm »
that p782 is what I replaced my 200s with.  works great in there.  if you are replacing/upgrading the transformer, replace the caps.  I didn't see anybody mention that.  really, get it to a good amp tech that knows tubes and salavates when he sees your amp(that's how you know he knows tubes) and for $200 plu parts, your amp will be tip top.  unless you have time and a lot of knowledge and experience behind you, take it to a pro.  you'll be happy, the economy grows and your Sunn has the best chance of living.

Offline volvoguy27

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2009, 06:24:21 pm »
I don't know if you have had the amp serviced yet, but I recently had my Solarus overhauled by Jim at AmpHead and I couldn't have been happier with it. So far every amp I have taken to him has been fixed right the first time.

Offline biltmore

• The Sound Choice
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2009, 07:29:39 pm »
djc, thanks so much for sharing that info with me!!! I really appreciate it. I'm just about ready to buy the transformer, and am really happy that it's only $104.95 ... instead of $350. And thanks for the recommendation on replacing the caps along with the transformer. I'll be taking it to a place here in Portland that specializes in fixing Sunn amps, it's called 'Amphead'.

volvoguy27, I'm actually taking it in to Amphead here soon. It had been serviced there before just before I bought it. I've heard great things about them from quite a few people, and apparently they have the A212 schematic there too, which is a bonus. Still, thanks for the recommendation!

Thanks for looking out guys! Really appreciate it. This A212 is quite possibly my favorite amp of all time.

Offline aryl

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2009, 01:11:32 pm »
my buddy, jeremy hooton, re covered that amp. it used to be owned by a mutual friend of ours.

Offline biltmore

• The Sound Choice
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2009, 06:32:32 pm »
Jeremy of the Portland Custom Shop?

Offline aryl

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2009, 12:30:19 am »
yeah, thats the dude.

Offline biltmore

• The Sound Choice
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2010, 01:20:04 pm »
Mel, or any of the wise ones ... is this the right Output Transformer for my A212? I need to buy this thing a.s.a.p.

http://store.triodestore.com/a4dyoutr43oh.html
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 10:42:34 pm by biltmore »

Offline mckinnon audio

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2010, 08:54:31 pm »
   Hi there,yes I'd say that should work fine for you.Let us know how you make out with the install,Mel.

Offline biltmore

• The Sound Choice
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2010, 10:40:41 pm »
Thanks a ton Mel!! I'll let you know how it goes. Really excited to see how this is going to turn out.

Offline biltmore

• The Sound Choice
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2010, 10:09:57 pm »
I got my amp back from Soursound / Portland Custom Shop yesterday, and everything went well! Apparently what caused my amp to trip its breaker and smoke, was a shorted out KT88. It blew my Hum inverter or Hum _______. I guess a couple of the resistors blew, and Bryan fixed it to where it shouldn't happen again. The reverb tank was also replaced with something much much better, and the opamp for the reverb was replaced too ... and the reverb sounds freaking amazing now. Really deep and lush, without any strange high end noise. He also mounted the reverb unit on the bottom of the amp, instead of being mounted on the back panel ... as it yielded a lot less noise that way. I never knew that the reverb tank's position in comparison to the amp made that much difference, but it did! I have new JJ KT88's in there, and that brand new Triode (Dynaco) replacement output transformer. The transformer is a standup, and he could've done some custom work to the transformer to make it lay down, but the easiest way to mount it was in a standing up position. He only needed to drill a couple of holes, and do some stuff to increase the strength of the clips. He was saying how most of the new transformers he gets all need a decent break in time, so I'm guessing that even tho my amp sounds alright now, it's only going to get better.

Here's some pics!