Author Topic: Sunn A212 Rear Panel  (Read 1118 times)

Offline Dinsdale

Sunn A212 Rear Panel
« on: April 13, 2003, 03:53:48 pm »
I'm the proud owner of a nice 1974 A212, and it plays like new.  

This thing will be like restoring a 1957 Chevy, finding parts here and there!

The upper (of two) rear panels is missing.  I see Ampwares has Sunn Tolex, so I may order it custom made from them.

But, if anyone owns an A212, could you measure the dimensions of the upper panel?  I'll have to questimate it if I don't get any responses.  I can measure from the existing screw holes in the cabinet.  It's NOT the same size as the lower panel!

Other cosmetic and hardware questions:

My corners are screwed in, with big phillips head screws.  I found rivets for Sunn amps - how hard is it to install these rivets, with existing screw holes?

I see a lot of handles online, but not the exact one I need.  Mines cracked, and about to give out.  It's longer than most Fender handles I see online.  Anyone found an EXACT replacement?  The mounting screw holes are located 8 1/4" apart, with chrome caps.

Anyone find an exact match to Sunn grill cloth?  Lot's to choose from online, but I wonder if anyone found it exactly.

I'm changing out the (cheap) speakers.  I'm told they're CTS, but I'm going with Celestion G12T-75.  Any comments?

The existing speakers are screwed in badly with wood screws.  I don't want to tear up that baffle any more, so I'd like to mount the new speakers with machine screws and T nuts, or just washers and nuts.  Any comments?

This amp is beautiful.  Loud and clean, but not clean like a solid state amp.

Thanks!

Tubehed

A212
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2003, 03:39:29 am »
enjoy the amp. =)
oddly enough i havent found a date anywhere on my amp.
id go for the screws on the corner protectors instead of rivets.
the celestion G12-75 is an excellent speaker. after you install those you will find out that this amp actually produces some high end!  :lol: I recently installed G12-60s in mine and love the sound.
yours seems to have different model speakers as mine.. mine had a set of emenence in it originally.
as far as mounting the speakers, i would say that blind nuts and machine bolts are the way to go. very sturdy and maint. free.
youre right about the sound as well.. very loud and airy.. but not crystalline clean. word of caution though. be wary of the molex connectors that are used on the preamp tubes and heater wires. they are the first things to start complaining when you transport the amp alot.  Also, be sure to have the bias checked by someone who knows what they are doing. these amps are wired with high plate voltages and low current. 6550 tubes are fairly lenient, but on a push pull and fixed bias setup like this it is easy to have one tube pulling litterally two times more current than the other at the same plate voltage. thats a recipe for output transformer detonation.  :wink: