Author Topic: Jeff Beck on Palladia  (Read 9615 times)

Offline Greg_M

Jeff Beck on Palladia
« on: March 04, 2011, 10:17:47 am »
Amazing

Jeff Beck live at Ronnie Scott's

Best music I have seen in some time. Every musician  there is superb.
They had it on Palladia last night. That's 567 on DirecTV.

It's on again next Wednesday. I have it set to record. It's in HD too.

Here's a taste
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6T6AQ5yXqc&feature=related

amazing bass work   :-)

« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 11:30:12 am by EdBass »

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Jeff Beck on Palladia
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 11:29:53 am »
Amazing

Jeff Beck live at Ronnie Scott's

Best music I have seen in some time. Every musician  there is superb.
They had it on Palladia last night. That's 567 on DirecTV.

It's on again next Wednesday. I have it set to record. It's in HD too.

Here's a taste
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6T6AQ5yXqc&feature=related

amazing bass work   :-)

I think this should probably be in "Bands".

It took me a while to “get” Jeff Beck, but I certainly do now. All it really takes is seeing a live performance. Unbelievable good at what he does, and anyone who plays with him is always top shelf.

That is Tal Wilkenfeld on bass, a true virtuoso prodigy IMO. Although, now at age 25 I suppose the “prodigy” part is passé. I’ve posted here about her before, I first heard about her when she was 17 and Sadowsky was giving her a “carte blanche” bass endorsement; after she had been playing bass for a whopping 2 or 3 months. I thought it was a very un-Sadowsky like pub “stunt” (you know, like Fender giving that (IMO) talentless kid Pete Wentz a signature bass…), and said so in my normal arrogant fashion, until a buddy sent me audio he recorded at a seminar with her playing, and told me that this “publicity stunt” was going on the road with Hiram Bullock..
Wow, just wow.
She disgusts me; not with her, but with myself. Just pure genetic talent and pretty fun to look at also, IMO.
Makes me want to turn all of my high dollar basses into furniture, or maybe start a big bonfire…

This is when she had been playing bass for maybe 3 years;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gO7FI_ogvA

The notes are one thing, check out the timing; the way she sits in the “pocket”, the technique and hand control, just the overall poise and demeanor of at the time (2007) “neophyte” 20 year old with a piddling total of 3 years of bass playing experience.
Of course, just the fact that she is playing for Beck is pretty much the only endorsement really needed.

Anyway, if you can’t tell I think she’s pretty good. :wink:

Offline Greg_M

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 11:38:29 am »

Tal Wilkenfeld

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tal_Wilkenfeld

Insanely talented

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 12:36:37 pm »
Insanely cute, too ...
Sunn since June 1971!
1971 Sorado, 2000S, Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead
1970 200S; 1974 Coliseum 880

Offline Greg_M

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 01:11:55 pm »
You can't hear the bass work very well on this song on YouTube but if you watch the whole show she is jaw dropping

Worth going to a little effort to get the DVD or catch it in HighDef on satellite

Yes she is a heart breaker  :evil:

Offline Greg_M

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 09:09:46 am »

Offline pickinatit

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 01:54:19 pm »

I think this should probably be in "Bands".

It took me a while to “get” Jeff Beck, but I certainly do now. All it really takes is seeing a live performance. Unbelievable good at what he does, and anyone who plays with him is always top shelf.

That is Tal Wilkenfeld on bass, a true virtuoso prodigy IMO. Although, now at age 25 I suppose the “prodigy” part is passé. I’ve posted here about her before, I first heard about her when she was 17 and Sadowsky was giving her a “carte blanche” bass endorsement; after she had been playing bass for a whopping 2 or 3 months. I thought it was a very un-Sadowsky like pub “stunt” (you know, like Fender giving that (IMO) talentless kid Pete Wentz a signature bass…), and said so in my normal arrogant fashion, until a buddy sent me audio he recorded at a seminar with her playing, and told me that this “publicity stunt” was going on the road with Hiram Bullock..
Wow, just wow.
She disgusts me; not with her, but with myself. Just pure genetic talent and pretty fun to look at also, IMO.
Makes me want to turn all of my high dollar basses into furniture, or maybe start a big bonfire…

This is when she had been playing bass for maybe 3 years;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gO7FI_ogvA

The notes are one thing, check out the timing; the way she sits in the “pocket”, the technique and hand control, just the overall poise and demeanor of at the time (2007) “neophyte” 20 year old with a piddling total of 3 years of bass playing experience.
Of course, just the fact that she is playing for Beck is pretty much the only endorsement really needed.

Anyway, if you can’t tell I think she’s pretty good. :wink:

[/quote]

Agree 100% with most of what you said, Ed.  I was never a big fan of Jeff Beck's music. (Still not really, but I now respect the hell out of his talent and ability on the guitar). 
It took seeing a live performance of Beck for me to really appreciate him.  What stunned me was his use of the ENTIRE guitar.  I mean,  he is tweaking the tone and volume knobs between NOTES for G** sake. (You can see some of that in the video you posted).  And his use of pinch (??) harmonics....well...I've just never seen or heard anything like it.

Tal Wilkenfeld wasn't with him when I saw him (at the Bogota in Atlantic City,  June 2010) Rhonda Smith played bass.  Let me tell you,  she is no slouch herself!!  Listen to it all, but check her out from about  1:35  on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZDaHEBTAtM

Offline D.M.N.

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 03:06:16 am »
Always good to hear some good Jeff Beck, though my favorite stuff by him was definitely with the original incarnation of the Jeff Beck Group, with Rod Stewart on Vox and Ronnie Wood on bass. But seeing him and Tal play is simply amazing as well.
House of the Rising Sunn........
-----------------------------------
1969 2000s
1972 2000s
1970 1200s
1968 1000s
1969 200s
2010 2000s DIY 2x15
1971 2000s 2x15
1969 2000s 2x15
1972 2000s 2x15
1968 1000s 2x15
1970 1200s 6x12

Offline Greg_M

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 09:40:41 am »
I was watching the current episode of Californication last Sunday and heard this song start up.

Cause We've Ended As Lovers

Tal Wilkenfeld does an amazing solo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC02wGj5gPw&feature=related

:-o

Offline MikeL

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 10:50:32 am »
While we're here, there IS a Jeff Beck/Sunn connection:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5ID15mv0gA
This is from 1972, the second Jeff beck Group; keyboardist Max Middleton is no slouch either. The following year saw the emergence of Beck, Bogert, and Appice; bassist Tim Bogert(ex-Vanilla Fudge)used Sunn Coliseum gear as well.

Offline Robbie Nuke

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 09:08:37 pm »
Jeff is playing through Marshall amps, not Sunn, so I wouldn't say there is a "connection" between Jeff and Sunn any more than there is a "connection" between Jeff and Ludwig. But he has endorsed Plush and Univox briefly (probably for free amps on a US tour back in the 70's).

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 10:35:16 pm »
I feel bad right now :-(
had a pic of JeffBeck w/ a stack of Smiley Face Sunns that has now gone into the ether. sorry 'bout that but it wasnt a promo pic- a shot of him playing some where way back when.
you dont have to believe-
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 07:44:22 am »
While we're here, there IS a Jeff Beck/Sunn connection:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5ID15mv0gA
This is from 1972, the second Jeff beck Group; keyboardist Max Middleton is no slouch either. The following year saw the emergence of Beck, Bogert, and Appice; bassist Tim Bogert(ex-Vanilla Fudge)used Sunn Coliseum gear as well.

I'd call it a "connection". A bit of a reach maybe, but IMO certainly close enough to qualify as a "Sunn connection" on this thread.  :wink:

I kinda like his tone with the old Fenders the best. I think they fit his current style better than the Marshalls, but whatever Mr. Beck chooses to play is just fine with me.  :-D

Offline mckinnon audio

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 08:53:42 am »
  I saw him a few weeks ago,(Oct.12) in Halifax,Nova Scotia,had seats in the second row,just incredible,people are still talking about how great the show was.Our hometown girl,Rhonda Smith was smoking on the bass,played electric upright also !! Way to go girl !!