Author Topic: MODEL T's 1st gen vs 2nd gen  (Read 40206 times)

Offline jdfarrell81

Re: MODEL T's 1st gen vs 2nd gen
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2010, 06:36:10 pm »
As far as I understand it, you just run a cable from the output of one amp into the input of the other.

I'm not sure if the differences between 1st Gen and 2nd Gen pose any probelms for running them together. I was wondering that myself. Anyone have a answer to that?

Though, instead of slaving the two heads, if you have multiple cabs, you might just want to run each head into a separate cab with an a/b box so you can run both heads simultaneously but still be able to tweak each one individually for a more personalized, nuanced sound.

Offline NsubUlysses

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2010, 07:23:55 pm »
The dudes in Sunn have a ABY pedal with multiple outs. They plug one guitar into the contraption, then run 4 lines out of it into 4 different fuzz pedals, then into 4 full stacks. They sound huge because they play all the amps individually, not just have one guitar signal reproduced through 4 stacks, ya know?? Hope that helps

Offline jdfarrell81

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2010, 07:39:56 pm »
That helps, mate. Thank you.

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2010, 04:42:57 pm »
yeah the ABY method makes sense, "maximum volume yields maximum results". They have 8 model T's now if I remember correctly from watching a recent video...  I need to go to one of their shows just to bask in the tone glory, what a wet dream for a fan of Model T's
MAXIMUM VOLUME YIELDS MAXIMUM GOATS

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs

Offline NsubUlysses

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2010, 05:16:50 pm »
I was lucky enough to open for them one time. I chatted with them a little bit about it. I asked Greg Anderson if he was into the reissue Model T at all (that's what I have) and he replied, "I don't know. I've never played one."

Kinda made me laugh. I know it's a very different amp but I figured he'd at least have checked it out!

Offline jdfarrell81

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2010, 05:55:42 pm »
1)

I saw SunnO))) a few years back at Baltimore's (in)famous Ottobar, and it was obviously loud, but I didn't truly comprehend how loud it was until I left the venue. SunnO)))'s set was winding down when I left, and I could still hear every note when I got to my car which was parked 2 blocks away. Hell, I could still hear every note once I was in my car with the windows up. And that was back when they "only" used 4 Model T's.

2)

As for the Fender Model T, popular opinion be damned, I think it's an amazing DOOM machine. It's unfortunate that it's forever stuck in the shadow of the original Model T; if it was judged on its own merits, I think people would be jumping on the bandwagon. Who knows, maybe they will one day.

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2010, 09:47:35 pm »
I've never played a Fender one, but I've heard positive things about them. They're two different monsters in their own. I think the reason people were upset about the reissue is because they were expecting the all mighty original model T and got something different, I can understand.

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs

Offline NsubUlysses

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2010, 10:15:04 pm »
Yes I certainly agree that the Fender Model T is a top notch amp. I know lots of people complain about the hiss of the gain channel.

Mine is noisy as hell but I don't really care too much about it. I like how it's very volatile and there's lots of noise and hiss combined with the massive sound. I've never played an original Model T but I've certainly heard them. Seems like the main draw is the massively loud, clear clean sound which is very receptive to pedals. The reissue is kind of a one trick pony I think. It's got a killer gain channel but the clean is nothing to write home about. It's not that great with pedals for fuzz or distortion pedals IMO, although the Russian Circles guitarist now ONLY uses the clean channel of the reissue T and gets all his gain sounds from pedals, so maybe I don't know how to use this thing.

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2010, 11:12:46 pm »
Yeah, a lot of the more modern amps or amp's with a dedicated gain channel in general get really nasty and noisy when ran with a pedal (on the gain channel). But sometimes the clean channel doesn't sound as great with a pedal either, there's ways around it. I have a Marshall JCM 2000 (which I now hate) that has Three (yes... sigh... 3) channels. A Gain oops... sorry Marshall... "CRUNCH" channel, a "lead" channel and "clean". It's taken some tampering to get it to sound good (ie. lowering the preamp volume on the amp, or lowering the distortion level of the pedal).

That's why I just use the ol' Sunn now...  :mrgreen:

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2010, 01:20:10 pm »
I  run connector cables from 1st gen to 2nd gen model ts and vice versa w/ no discernable change in sound.
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline jdfarrell81

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2010, 07:28:23 pm »
I'm not sure if the differences between 1st Gen and 2nd Gen pose any probelms for running them together. I was wondering that myself. Anyone have a answer to that?

I  run connector cables from 1st gen to 2nd gen model ts and vice versa w/ no discernable change in sound.

Thanks for answering my question. I was hoping you'd chime in. After seeing your rig, I figured you'd be the guy to ask.

Offline clodo

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2010, 12:45:40 pm »

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2010, 03:21:21 pm »
I'm glad he finally found some original SUNN  Ts! last few times thru town here in  SF he was using the Fenders :-(
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline buzzsunn

« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2010, 12:45:30 am »
I'm glad he finally found some original SUNN  Ts! last few times thru town here in  SF he was using the Fenders :-(

Actually he IS using two of the reissues!!!
My band opened for them here in Greece and we had a conversation about Sunn. He told me that he didn’t like the original Model Ts…
The pix from the link are probably from their European tour (France maybe??) so the rig might be “rental”!
Anyways great band and great rig whatsoever !!!!
 :-D
check and contribute: http://postyourrig.blogspot.com/