Author Topic: Sunn logos through the years...  (Read 16682 times)

Offline robbass

Sunn logos through the years...
« on: February 24, 2010, 06:27:16 pm »
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and dig all the great information! 

I was curious if anyone knew the date ranges for their logos on amps and cabs.  We all know the smiley face was around the start of the company and I think the red logo came out in the BETA series period circa late 70s and early 80s.  Does anyone have additional information on the other dates for the black on silver logos or silver on black logos?  Do the different colors signify different ownership thoughout the Sunn years?

Sunn Coliseum 300
Sunn Concert Bass (silverface)
Sunn Sorado
Sunn 215SH Enclosure
Sunn 610S Enclosure
Fender Musical Instruments - Brea, CA ~ 1987 to 1990

Offline jaybird

Re: Sunn logos through the years...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 10:01:25 am »
As a graphic designer who thinks the sunn logo is one of the coolest/best designed logos ever, I'd like to hear more about the history of it as well, if anyone knows...

I've always been particularly curious about the "serif'ed" logo that I've seen on a few pieces here and there - most notably the Coliseum 300 amp below, and on some PA/mixing board equipment.

It still looks cool, but I've always wondered what prompted that move - seems like it didn't get applied too consistently or frequently, and it's always interesting when a company with such an iconic brand/logo decides to alter it in someway... at least for those of us who pay attention to such things as part of our livelihood...
Coliseum 300
Fender-era Sunn 215 cab

Offline Addam

• Opus Noir
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 01:51:41 pm »
Possibly adding more bulk to represent the sound/appearance of the amps/cabs.  Also, possibly to better fir the 0)))  I too am looking at the new(er) logo from a graphic designer's(as I'm going to school for that and am pretty close to being done) point of view.

Offline siamesetwins

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 12:05:43 am »
The wider, serif logo was introduced in the early '80s, when Fender bought Sunn. Don't really know why they changed it, maybe just a slight alteration to signify new management?

As the OP said, red logo was introduced in the late '70s at the onset of the Beta period.

To the best of my knowledge, late '60s was mostly black on silver, and the silver grill was popular, as visible on the (mostly) tube amps of that period.

Honestly though, I'm really not the best person to answer this...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 01:09:32 am by siamesetwins »
Sunn Concert Bass w/ 215B
Acoustic 271
Early '70s V4
'79 Kramer DMZ 4001
'89 Les Paul Studio

Offline jaybird

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 07:51:42 am »
The wider, serif logo was introduced in the early '80s, when Fender bought Sunn. Don't really know why they changed it, maybe just a slight alteration to signify new management?

I kinda figured it might be something like that, but like I said, it doesn't seem like they were very consistent or thorough about applying it across the board... which I gather is pretty much the way Fender seemed to handle the Sunn brand overall - as a sort of half-assed afterthought.
Coliseum 300
Fender-era Sunn 215 cab

Offline xsolarusx

• Black Faxes
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 09:06:33 am »
I vaguely recall a thread a few years back where someone posted all the different logos they could find.  Pretty neat stuff.

As far as fender acquiring Sunn, they're a corporate black hole, sucking up anything that comes into their possession. Last going off, they were just slapping the 'classic' Sunn logo on products that would never sell under the Fender name.
(2) 73 1st Gen Model T
Late 70's Marshall JCM 800 1960B cab

Offline jaybird

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 09:49:33 am »
As far as fender acquiring Sunn, they're a corporate black hole, sucking up anything that comes into their possession. Last going off, they were just slapping the 'classic' Sunn logo on products that would never sell under the Fender name.

Isn't the Fender Bassman 300 the exact same amp as the "discontinued" Sunn 300T, though? I think the Sunn 1200s hybrid lives on as the Fender Bassman 1200 too...
Coliseum 300
Fender-era Sunn 215 cab

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 10:40:04 am »
Here's the original "Smiley Face" logo on a T Shirt. I'll be offering a few of these in the classified section soon. PM me if you want more info...

Offline robbass

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 11:09:33 am »
Groovey smiley face logo shirt!

That's kind of what I thought with the logos;  Black on Silver was from the 60's tube era and silver on black may signify the solid state years in the 70s(?).  It appears that they signify different product lines such as the red logo for the BETA years, or this was done in conjunction with a change in company ownership.  The logos and branding was not done very consistently as my Coli 300 has a red logo and the photo posted is the a silver on black logo...

I can comment on Sunn while I worked at Fender in the late 80s.  The Sunn product line was practically nonexistent, along with Rogers percussion and a few other brands, which I believe was acquired as part of Fender's CBS period.  I did pickup some Sunn PA cabinets and floor monitors during my time at Fender where (funny, all the logos are mismatched but the price was dirt cheap and I still use the Sunn PA cabs and floor monitors).  From what I recall at the time, Fender was more focused on improving their own product and image post CBS years, so Sunn became less of a priority.  I worked in Finance for Fender and Sunn, along with Rogers, were low revenue performers on our reports for the management team which is a crying shame cause it could have really developed over the years as Fender had some really talented R&D.
Sunn Coliseum 300
Sunn Concert Bass (silverface)
Sunn Sorado
Sunn 215SH Enclosure
Sunn 610S Enclosure
Fender Musical Instruments - Brea, CA ~ 1987 to 1990

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 11:53:14 am »
Here's a thread with a picture I posted of the pre-75 badges.

http://sunnforum.ampage.org/sdp/index.php/topic,4099.0.html

Edit: Fixed link
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 06:18:51 pm by loudthud »

Offline biltmore

• The Sound Choice
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 03:44:05 pm »
Here's the original "Smiley Face" logo on a T Shirt. I'll be offering a few of these in the classified section soon. PM me if you want more info...

Be still, my beating heart

PM'ed

Offline jaybird

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 07:28:33 am »
Here's a weird one - Hartzel-era SB160 combo, with the serif-ed logo on the "head" portion" and the standard logo on the cab/speaker portion

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/msg/1622457948.html
Coliseum 300
Fender-era Sunn 215 cab

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 09:44:07 am »
I sent you a PM as well, EB. Cool shirts!
Sunn since June 1971!
1971 Sorado, 2000S, Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead
1970 200S; 1974 Coliseum 880

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 10:13:22 pm »
It amazes me that Sunn came up with such a truly timeless logo. The smiley face looks extremely dated, but the sunn o))) logo always looks fresh and new, unlike other logos from the same era. Others have come and gone, or stayed, and are classic, but still look old-fashioned, like Marshall and Fender. Or dated and not classic, like Peavey.
Isaac