Author Topic: Ever get a new guitar, and HATE it completely?  (Read 3915 times)

Offline Angry-Again

Ever get a new guitar, and HATE it completely?
« on: March 13, 2011, 10:13:20 am »
 :x I got a 2009 ESP LTD from a friend who needed some money and offered it to me before pawning it. I didn't need another guitar or particulaly like this one, but the price was dirt cheap and he needed the money so I went for it. Its got the flat black finish, which I hate. It sounds decent, But it's no tone blaster. It plays ok after lowering the action some, but i still dont like the neck or the frets. Sigh.. The list goes on and on. Time for Craigslist for this POS, it dont deserve to take up space in my man cave! Just another example of you get what you pay for. Maybe someday ill learn!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 06:17:41 pm by Angry-Again »
1981 Gibson Sonex 180 Custom
2003 Gibson Sg
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
2006 Fender 60th anniversary Stratocaster
1997 BC Rich NJ Warlock

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
Re: Ever get a new guitar, and HATE it completely?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 03:14:36 pm »
the way you explain this-you are doing a favor for a buddy. leave it at that-whether it was a guitar or a car or a set of golf clubs-if you dont or cant use it-unload it!
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline Angry-Again

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 06:17:16 pm »
Yea, It's not like im gonna loose money on it or something. It just suprised me how much I disliked the guitar from the first time I touched it. I hadn't really experinced that before. Theres been alot of them I didnt care much for, but I guess on the same hand, I didnt buy them. LOL! It was good to help out the friend, I was just curious if anyone else had experienced the same.
1981 Gibson Sonex 180 Custom
2003 Gibson Sg
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
2006 Fender 60th anniversary Stratocaster
1997 BC Rich NJ Warlock

Offline mike_sims

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 01:16:20 am »
When I was playing 7-strings, I had other 7-string guitars that sounded great. Bought an Ibanez RG 7321, what a piece o' crap... Made out of bass wood, super BRIGHT sounding, no sutain... just terrible. But for some reason I still have it?
MAXIMUM VOLUME YIELDS MAXIMUM GOATS

1974 Sunn Model T
1975 Sunn Model T
2 Sunn 412L cabs

Offline Creature feature

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 11:18:31 am »
I used to go through alot of guitars. I would go from Fenders to Gibsons, not fully understanding why they felt so different other than the materials and the fret wire gauge.  Then I worked at a guitar repair shop for a while and realized why certain guitars just would not work for me. Mainly it was the fact that I learned on a Fender and was used to the scale length and string tension a Strat has. Certain Gibsons work great, SGs feel better to me than Les Pauls. The one guitar that I really wanted to like and fought hard not to get rid of it was the Gibson Firebird. What an uncomfortable POS with a crappy thin tone. I now know how to set up a guitar with the action that I like and a neck with a slight relief but I also can tell when a guitar is a NO. Regardless, every guitar I buy I have to go through the same process of changing, tuners, pickups, nut, fret work (all to get it the way I like it)....its a very tedious process and Im tired of doing it so I hope Im done for a while. (yea right)

Offline ROCKETBRO2

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 03:15:47 pm »
Yea, It's not like im gonna loose money on it or something. It just suprised me how much I disliked the guitar from the first time I touched it. I hadn't really experinced that before. Theres been alot of them I didnt care much for, but I guess on the same hand, I didnt buy them. LOL! It was good to help out the friend, I was just curious if anyone else had experienced the same.

I traded in an SG bass and was really excited to get a Precision Bass and after playing it for a week or two, I couldn't figure out why I would ever want one. I actually named it "POS".
73 CONCERT BASS,215 ORION

Offline grimniggzy

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 07:39:08 am »

I traded in an SG bass and was really excited to get a Precision Bass and after playing it for a week or two, I couldn't figure out why I would ever want one. I actually named it "POS".

Dare you to tell this guy that...
Sunn Coliseum Bass--->Sunn 215B
Sunn Beta Bass--->Ampeg 410HLF
Sunn Beta Lead--->Marshall 4X12
2 Sunn Concert Basses
3 Fender P's, 1 Fretless J, 2 Statss, AmpegPlexiBass
OC-2 + QTrons + RATs + VTBass

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 10:29:41 am »

I feel exactly the same, but reversed. I don’t know how they even sold short scale Gibsons “back in the day” when the main competition was Fenders and Rickies.
I’ll have say that I have heard players make them sound good, but I sure ain’t one of them!
When I play them they are snarky, farty sounding little mud buckets; I suspect they are easier to play than long scales if you have small hands though.

Dare you to tell this guy that...

Several years ago I took a job in a Motown/R&B revue band. I always kind of liked Motown, certainly respected the talent from the genre, but never was a really huge fan. Not my first choice of music to play, but it was a very lucrative gig; cool venues, top shelf accommodations, excellent players, weekends only, and a sh*t pot full of money. I freely admit I'm a whore; you pay, I'll play.
I traded in the "I'm so cool, I play in a (insert genre) band" for nice houses, fast cars, and fiscal comfort at a fairly young age.  

Anyway, when Motown songs came up in the past with other bands I would fake my way through; stay on one, don't let the drummer get away, etc., but never paid attention to the actual bass lines until I had to for this band.
The "sh*t pot full of money" was dependent on my nailing the bass lines, not just jamming along and smiling.
Now, I've been playing a loooong time. I can read, sight transpose, sing and play, etc., but hitting those bass lines "on the money" with a drummer I'd only rehearsed with a couple of times in a live setting had me sweating bullets the first couple of gigs.  

If you are a bassist and haven't done this yet, and want to enhance your skill set, let me suggest that you listen closely to some of the stuff Mr. Jamerson did with Marvin Gaye, Jackson 5, etc. There is a reason he's considered "The Man"; all of those funkmeisters were bad asses, but James was the king IMO.
Here's one, an actual James Jamerson bass isolation track from a song you probably know; what is it?*

*EDIT; Never mind "guessing", I think the song title is coded in the track.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 10:38:10 am by EdBass »

Offline joe bitchin

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 01:35:05 pm »
i gotta beat-up esp ltd f-207 korean 7 string from a co-worker about a yr. or so ago & it has taken me awhile to guess used to it for sure! jamerson has always been my hero!

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 02:27:50 pm »
I'm with Ed on the Precision Bass point - I bought a 1966 sunburst for $150 in 1970 and should NEVER have sold it in 1988. However, I replaced with a 62RI and it has served me well.

To this subject, though, a year or two ago I read an article in Vintage Guitar about Gibson's EB-4L and was so intrigued that eventually I bought one. After a few hours, though, it was clear the neck was shaped too much like a baseball bat, the humbucker-with-tone-switch had an "interesting" deep bass sound that might be okay for reggae, it was more neck heavy than either my late-model Thunderbird or '76 Ripper; and I was reminded that I never liked the look of the SG-style basses anyway. I had it long enough to put new strings on it, get the neck adjusted so the action was playable, be double-darn sure I didn't like it, and it was gone! (At least I broke even on the sale.)
Sunn since June 1971!
1971 Sorado, 2000S, Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead
1970 200S; 1974 Coliseum 880