Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: How to create a topic at forum.sunnstillshines.online ??
« Last post by EdBass on November 25, 2022, 01:31:05 pm »
Does the process you used to create this topic not work on other parts of the forum?
General Discussion / How to create a topic at forum.sunnstillshines.online ??
« Last post by Svetlegk on November 22, 2022, 06:24:30 am »
 Can anyone help ??
 I can't write to the topic.
 Yours faithfully.
Q & A / Re: Looking for info
« Last post by Adamd1978 on November 18, 2022, 09:50:13 am »
Will do!
Thanks
Q & A / Re: Looking for info
« Last post by loudthud on November 07, 2022, 08:20:56 am »
54681 is the serial number. Not much info there. Two pieces of info that would help are the overall size in inches and the speaker complement, 1x10, 1x12 + tweeter etc. then look through the Sunn Catalog thread above to see if you can find something that matches up.
Q & A / Looking for info
« Last post by Adamd1978 on November 07, 2022, 03:54:29 am »
I picked up a bunch of speakers at an auction, and I'm trying to find info on a pair of Sunn monitors that were included... Any help would be appreciated!
Sunn Monitors, finished wood cabinets, model number appears to be 54681... I'll try to attach a pic also
Thanks!!
Q & A / Re: Fisrt post... NAD Sunn Sonaro
« Last post by Soundmasterg on October 21, 2022, 12:07:27 am »
I agree with the filter cap replacement, however, I have a '68 200S I got around 2000-2001, all there - all factory original but in unknow condition. I slowly brought it back up on a variac and it played fine. Still had the original Mallory can cap filter. I started using it with a JBL K140 loaded I40 cab for small venue gigs, and then when I got in a heavy gigging band in about 2014 It became my #1, because this band had pro FOH sound, and I could mic it into the mains and monitors and not worry about having enough firepower for any venue.

So, on the original 50-year-old filter caps I gigged that 200S for 6 yrs., not a hiccup ever. Gigging once or twice a month in the Fall and Winter, with a heavy (for an old man like myself) gig schedule of 2-3 gigs a week in Spring and Summer. This band pulled most of its annual revenue from large outdoor festivals/seasonal open bars. In early 2020 I had the filter caps replaced because I didn't want to tempt fate any longer with the band's heaviest Spring bookings yet coming up; and then... COVID.
The can cap still tested within spec after it was pulled, the amp was a tad louder and cleaner after the replacement.
True story, but if I had more common sense, I would have replaced them before leaning on that old amp as a #1...

Great story Ed!

My very early 2000S still has the original filter caps in it, and it works, though I don't gig with it. I plan to put Solen caps in it when I get the time, but I've been planning that since I got the thing for free in the late 90's. The advantage of the Solens is that I won't have to open the amp up again, and the 2000S has plenty of room for the huge size of those caps. The fact it is a bass amp and good clean power is a desired goal also benefits the use of the Solens. One of these days I'll get to it.

Greg
« Last post by Soundmasterg on October 21, 2022, 12:04:09 am »
EdBass, you seem to know quite a bit more than I in regards to the history and tradition of Sunn Amps. Do you think it would be hurtful to the value of this amp to install a bias balance control in addition to the bias control it came stock with? I can see both sides to this and I'm not sure which way to go. On one hand, it would allow appropriate biasing of slightly mis-matched tubes, like the vintage Mullards it came with. On the other, I can hear someone saying "Why are you using mis-matched tubes?!?!"

If you were going to mod it for the bias circuit, adding another bias pot so you have one for each of the power tubes is a better way to go rather than adding a bias balance pot. It allows for more versatility and you can adjust both tubes so they will bias properly, which means you can use unmatched tubes, which is somewhat important with the low quality of tubes sometimes today. That said, I wouldn't do it, especially if you plan to flip the amp. It's worked this long with the single bias pot, why change it now?

Greg
Q & A / Re: Beta Lead humming / buzzing
« Last post by Dr. Gonzo on September 11, 2022, 02:58:37 am »
Thanks guys! So I'll try to find a pro who has experience with solid state amps. The amp was pretty cheap (20? including footswitch), so we can invest some money in the repair and still got a good deal.

Have a good one!
« Last post by loudthud on September 11, 2022, 02:16:11 am »
The original switches were made by Carling. Search for Carling here, look through the threads and try to cross reference that against the Carling website and various online distributors.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10