Author Topic: What is everyone using for Tolex and Grill Cloth ?  (Read 5788 times)

Offline Greg_M

What is everyone using for Tolex and Grill Cloth ?
« on: September 02, 2010, 09:47:30 pm »
So what's the latest tolex and grill cloth that looks close to the original Sunn stuff ?
If there isn't any, what is everyone using that looks good?

Links ?
Names ?

Thanks
Greg

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
Re: What is everyone using for Tolex and Grill Cloth ?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 06:15:14 am »
There have been extensive discussions on this topic, too much to summarize here. Please use the "search" feature.
Sunn since June 1971!
1971 Sorado, 2000S, Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead
1970 200S; 1974 Coliseum 880

Offline wildbill96

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 06:50:49 am »
Just Google:

Wendell Fabrics for the replacement grill cloth.

And...

Sunn rough tolex for the replacement tolex.
'72 Coliseum 880
'72 412s x 2
'79 Concert Monitors x 2
'73 Studio Lead

Offline Greg_M

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 07:58:29 am »
There have been extensive discussions on this topic, too much to summarize here. Please use the "search" feature.

That's the first thing I did last night and most of the references I found on this forum couldn't be tracked down. I would not have bother to ask otherwise.

Just Google:

Wendell Fabrics for the replacement grill cloth.

And...

Sunn rough tolex for the replacement tolex.

I went and looked at the Wendell site and the reference numbers I could find in various threads using Google don't seem to be on their web page.
Maybe there is a place to navigate to that I didn't find?

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 08:36:38 am »
Here's a helpful post on the grill cloth issue, which I found by putting "grill cloth" in the search box.  This is just one of many but has a lot of details you might find helpful.

http://sunnforum.ampage.org/sdp/index.php/topic,5311.0.html

Regarding tolex, some people have mentioned Fender as a possible source but you can get really good Tolex directly from Conrad. He has a post in either the Conrad section or DIY section about what he has and how to order it from him. He also has grill cloth that is very similar to the Sunn-style cloth but not exactly the same (it has a slight blue tint to it) -- you're probably better to consider the post above and get some of the Wendell fabric.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 08:00:08 am by EdBass »
Sunn since June 1971!

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 08:01:35 am by EdBass »
Sunn since June 1971!

Offline HRobert

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 05:55:15 pm »
So what's the latest tolex and grill cloth that looks close to the original Sunn stuff ?
If there isn't any, what is everyone using that looks good?

Links ?
Names ?

Thanks
Greg

Greg,

When I did my Sentura II cabs I bought my grill cloth from Mojo Sound.  It's medium weight, easy to work with, and I think it looks great.  Check out my post of "67 Sentura II Finished to see pictures.

Rob

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 02:42:09 am »
I'm of the opinion that there is no source for the "old style" grill cloth, or the actual vintage Sunn tolex. There are close tolex types, but not the real deal. Conrad has the Fender type tolex, but not the exact old type.
I can't even find anything remotely close to the old style grill cloth.

I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I sure haven't found it, and I look pretty hard.  :wink:

Offline Greg_M

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 07:42:56 am »
I'm of the opinion that there is no source for the "old style" grill cloth, or the actual vintage Sunn tolex. There are close tolex types, but not the real deal. Conrad has the Fender type tolex, but not the exact old type.
I can't even find anything remotely close to the old style grill cloth.

I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I sure haven't found it, and I look pretty hard.  :wink:

I am coming to that conclusion too.

Offline wildbill96

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 02:22:01 pm »
I purchased two yards of Mellotone grill cloth directly from Wendell Fabrics to replace the grills on my 412s cabinets.  They sent sample 8 x 10 samples to me to confirm a match against my two 412s cabinets that had the original grills.  They have photos of a few of their choices on their website but after I spoke to Bill Swank in sales and told him what I was covering he new exactly what samples to send and the one that matched (FN-5660-21) was not even shown on their website.  He also confirmed that they had most likely supplied the original fabric for these '70's vintage cabinets.  This particular fabric has an aged/yellowed look if you are looking for a vintage look which I was.  If you are going for an as-new look then you should probably order their SF7005 fabric.  These fabrics may not be a 100% exact, absolute match but they are as close as you will be able to find today.  Somewhere on this site there were photos posted of these 8 x 10 sample cards.  Search for them so that you can see for yourself.
'72 Coliseum 880
'72 412s x 2
'79 Concert Monitors x 2
'73 Studio Lead

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 02:46:56 pm »
As CLD has referenced, the new grill cloth is pretty much covered, and as wildbill96 posts, while not a dead on exact match, real freekin' close. His research even gave us the choice between "NOS" or "relic" looks.

The problem is the old sparkly grill cloth and the actual OEM tolex. It seems Wendell made the original grill cloth, however current EPA regulations make it impossible to re manufacture it. Bill Swank told me if I sent a sample of the original sparkly cloth he would see what they could come up with, but I haven't pursued it.
I can't even image the effort, expense, and minimum order required to get the original tolex re manufactured
George makes me feel a little guilty for dropping the ball. The job he did getting the knobs made was superlative IMO, and probably took a lot of time and money on his part; an effort that a lot of us get to benefit from.

Offline D.M.N.

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 08:07:13 pm »
I'm still hoping one day, something will come along as a suitable replacement for the original type cloth. It just looks so much better IMO.
House of the Rising Sunn........
-----------------------------------
1969 2000s
1972 2000s
1970 1200s
1968 1000s
1969 200s
2010 2000s DIY 2x15
1971 2000s 2x15
1969 2000s 2x15
1972 2000s 2x15
1968 1000s 2x15