Author Topic: 2000s for guitar  (Read 2420 times)

Offline Laurent Lebec

2000s for guitar
« on: April 30, 2001, 05:31:00 pm »
Fellow sunn amplification fans, I recently acquired a 2000s head used in Chicago. About the only thing I knew about Sunn heads was that some of my fave bands used them, read goatsnake, earth, soft machine and mountain.

It was sold to me as a guitar head. I tried it at the store that way and it sounded pretty killer. at $450, I couldn't go wrong it seemed. However, after doing a little research post amp purchase, I now realize the 2000s is a bass head! Oops.

I play in a rather heavy band with a LOT of low end, my guitar tuned down to b. Can I use the 2000s as a guitar head, if so, what cabinet setup do you recommend I get to go with it?

Any information regarding this head and its use for guitar is much appreciated.

Laurent

Offline Greg Z

2000s for guitar
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2001, 09:00:00 am »
I'll work fine for Guitar,
Any good 4-12 cab will probably do Good.
or even better, 2) 4-12's or a 4-12 and a 4-10.
Watch you ears as these things are brutally loud,
and massive on the bottom end. Should have no problem
kickin some serious ass with this thing. If you like distortion
you will need to get a pedal as these things don't breakup until
way,way loud.

Greg z
to thine own sound be true
Greg Z
to thine own sound be true
 gmz79-at-aol.com

Offline Keith H

2000s for guitar
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2001, 01:28:00 pm »
Totally agree with Greg's comments.  To flip the coin, I recently picked up a Sunn 1500S head, (orginally marketed for guitar) to use as a bass amp.  The only difference between the 2000S and the 1500S (or the 'non-effect' version of the 1200S) is the preamp circuit voicing and bass boost switch.

The beauty of all these vintage Sunn amps is their ultra-linear design.  They are ironically ideal for today's world of outboard effects processing and 'modeling'.

The 2000S will kick the crap out of anything new on the market but you will need to add outboard effects (pedals, rack mount, whatever), effectively using the Sunn head as your 'power amp', especially if you're after distortion effects.  If your thing is low end response with the alternative tunings, you might consider at least one closed back cabinet or even throwing in a 15 speaker cab to the mix as well.

You also might want to look at the tubes currently in the amp.  If 6550's of the straight sided variety, you might consider upgrading to Tung Sol 6550's (ST style) or KT-88's, either of which (to my ear) are more musical to me.

When your band mates cower in fear of the awesome sight of the massive 2000S, just tell them it's not about volume, it's about tone.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
2000s for guitar
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2001, 06:21:00 pm »
For sure, you're not going to hurt it. Beyond that, it's just a matter of whether or not you like the sound. I have a 200S I used for guitar until I got my Sentura II. It sounded fine, but the Sentura is more versatile, what with the reverb and mid-boost switch. If you like it, go for it.

As far as cabs go, again, it depends on the sound you want. 412's sound like 412's. I use an open-backed 212 and, counter-intuitively, I have too much bass. Gotta turn it all the way down or the band sounds like mud. Use what you like, but make sure the speaker can take it if you're going to crank it up!
Isaac