Sunn Musical Equipment > DIY

Sunn 2000S rebuild w.pics! advice/help

(1/4) > >>

Dgoodwin:
So surfing the web I came across an ad for a peavey bass cab.... when I read the ad in the fine print it says "amp on top doesnt work make me an offer" long story short I meet the guy asap in a Walmart parking lot handed him $100 Canadian and took my new project home.

When I got it a few problems jumped right out at me
- burned resistor by the big cap
-3 resistors tied together split right down the middle

Replaced those parts with correct parts and stuck the "questionable" 6550 that came with the amp.... it passed signal for a second then blew another resistor so I do believe it can be saved....

-Borrowed a friends tester and all tubes showed bad, so I have a new set on order. --Next the caps need to be redone... look like a mix of old and new... do people suggest replacing the large "cap can" If it appears to be in good shape? any suggestions would be helpful on what caps I should get.
-power tube sockets seem like they might have small crack? I'm guessing they should be replaced?

I had a buddy redo the cab and its turning out great so any advice on getting the amp up and running would be awesome. Im not an expert but it's not my first time working inside an amp but this is my first with a sunn!

See pics here( couldn't figure out how to load in here....)

https://imgur.com/a/bbDyvth

Dgoodwin:
Also is there a different schematic for the SS rectified models? I've only seen the tube one

loudthud:
Later versions of the amp have one or two 20uF 600V axial caps as the first two filter caps. They are usually mounted near the Standby switch. Does your amp have these? Can you post a picture?

EdBass:
I thought those types of deals on old Sunn; old tube amps in general really, were just a memory. Kudos on a great score!
Your new 2000S is more than likely fixable, they really aren't that complex and pretty much anything is available. That big can multicap is a weak link, and as 'thud mentions was bolstered by the big 600V caps in later versions. I have a SS rectified 2000S that I had this installed in;

http://www.triodeelectronics.com/sdslabmk3cap1.html

Been running like a champ for about a decade, drops right inside the chassis;

I haven't come across a SS rectified 2000S schematic, as far as I know they are the same except for the rectifier. As Loudthud points out they added the supplemental big 600V electrolytics, and anomalies from amp to amp are fairly common in old Sunns as with many mass produced hand wired amps from the era. Add to that the possibility of many different "techs" digging around in there over the past five decades, etc.

As mentioned earlier, they are pretty straightforward and basic. I'm certain you will get her up and sounding outstanding!

I cant see your gallery pics. I upload pics to photobucket and then copy and paste the IMG link into the body of the post, as with the one in this post.

Dgoodwin:
updated image link let me know if it doesn't work cant seem to get them to upload on this site

https://imgur.com/a/bbDyvth

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version