Author Topic: Concert Bass Amp slaving  (Read 2300 times)

Offline philthybass77

Concert Bass Amp slaving
« on: July 22, 2019, 12:05:44 pm »
Hello friends. A lot of people complain that the Concert Bass amps are not loud enough. My silverface is 150w and my black and reds are 200w. Couldn't you just get a cheap power amp and still use the pre on the Sunn? I know that they made Concert Slaves as I own one but it is only 200w as well. Has anyone tried this? Any suggestions? Things to avoid? Thanks for the read and have a great day. Love from Nashville!

Offline ducatidoc

Re: Concert Bass Amp slaving
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 04:06:18 pm »
Yeah, adding a slave would work, but you'd also have to carry more speakers, or at least another 215S such as the one that came with the silverface head. That's way too much work for somebody like me, especially since the head and cab are already major-league heavy.  I'd have to be totally jacked about the sound, and honestly, I was not.  I have to admit, I thought my '74 silverface was anemic, but I was playing a stock '73 P-bass. I never got to hear an active bass thru it, but I suspect it would have been louder. I often wondered about adding a pre-amp boost at the front end, but they weren't so common in 1975. I had a friend w a 100W Marshall half-stack, which blew the Concert bass right out of the basement.  OTOH, the CB did put out a clear cutting tone, very mid-rangey. I'll bet it would kill for slap bass sound, or fretless.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 01:44:02 pm by ducatidoc »

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 07:30:15 pm »
There are many problems that can cause a Concert Bass to perform at less than expected levels. Many of these are beyond what a typical guitar store salesman can deal with or is even aware of. For one, the Concert Bass has a boost function that can only be accessed of you have a footswitch. A Fender Reverb/Tremolo switch will work if it has RCA plugs. Besides issues with the power amp only operating at 1/4 power, speaker impedance plays a major role. Unless you are prepared to deal with these things, maybe vintage gear is not for you.

Offline thedecayofnature

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 04:26:15 pm »
There are many problems that can cause a Concert Bass to perform at less than expected levels. Many of these are beyond what a typical guitar store salesman can deal with or is even aware of. For one, the Concert Bass has a boost function that can only be accessed of you have a footswitch. A Fender Reverb/Tremolo switch will work if it has RCA plugs. Besides issues with the power amp only operating at 1/4 power, speaker impedance plays a major role. Unless you are prepared to deal with these things, maybe vintage gear is not for you.

Knowing this. Can I run a concert head with two sunn 2x10s?

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 08:17:36 pm »
What is the impedance of each 2x10 cabinet ?

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 09:45:11 am »
I didn't know that Sunn ever made a 2x10" cabinet.

I have a couple of Sunn 410S cabinets. They are 8 ohms each.
Isaac

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2021, 02:41:16 pm »
I was thinking the same thing about Sunn 2x10 cabinets, but there may have been PA cabinets with a pair of 10s. Really not intended for Bass Guitar.

Offline Isaac

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2021, 08:50:50 am »
That occurred to me as well, but such a cabinet would surely also have a tweeter of some type, wouldn't it? Of course, many bass cabinets these days do, too.
Isaac