Author Topic: Kyuss Bass Tones from a Sunn?  (Read 1217 times)

Offline wavesWes

Kyuss Bass Tones from a Sunn?
« on: July 23, 2020, 05:57:51 pm »
Hello!
So, i?m trying to get that Kyuss, Blues For The Red Sun bass tone. I know it was a Rickenbacker ( surprisingly ) through an Ampeg V4B or a Sunn Coliseum Bass ( the transistor one ), and i?m creating a pedalboard setup without an amp. I have the opportunity to get exact replicas of the preamp from a few Sunn amps, namely the Model T, 2000S and the Coliseum P.A.

I want to get one of these preamps, but which one would give me that mid-focused, really smooth fuzz tone? I?m thinking the 2000S, chopping off most of the bass and treble could get me close. Can anyone offer a hand?

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
Re: Kyuss Bass Tones from a Sunn?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 02:16:40 pm »
Those are all Sunn tube amp emulations, if you wanted to emulate a Coliseum Bass amp you would likely have to start with its transistor preamp. I don't have much transistor amp experience, but it's my understanding that those Hartzell era transistor preamps are relatively difficult to reproduce because of multiple odd voltage requirements, and the components and inefficiencies of the era as opposed to modern circuit designs.
Regardless, in ALL cases the preamp alone is <= half of the tone.
That "smooth fuzz" is probably the sum total of the instrument, the integrated amps, and whatever other hardware (speakers, microphone, DI, recording console etc.) is between the bassists hands and your ear.

Depending on your personal interpretation, the term"smooth fuzz" would be in most cases a milder, thicker, non abrasive distortion which would more likely be output stage saturation, or an outboard effect rather than preamp distortion.