Author Topic: NEED SUNN TECH in westchester/fairfield area or GURU advice  (Read 905 times)

Offline nycfenderbass

• http://stevedepra.com
NEED SUNN TECH in westchester/fairfield area or GURU advice
« on: March 31, 2006, 03:59:24 pm »
I need to fix my boost switches on my 2 Sorados. They work ok on one, with little scratchiness and sometimes a bad connect, and the other has bad connects all the time. The treble  might even be stuck in the on position, regardless of where the switch is. I would not mind bypassing them all, since I never boost anyway. But then again it's nice to have them if I ever change my mind. Could it be just a bad or dirty switch problem or more to do with circuits too?  Also, both amps sound unique. They have different power tubes. One has Chinese 6550s with a 12ax7 and the other has old Magnavox 6550s, with 12ax7.  I prefer not so bright a tone, I don't slap bass. I like compression, warmth and mids. What say ye ol master? SteveDePra.com
SUNN IS !

Offline Soundmasterg

NEED SUNN TECH in westchester/fairfield area or GURU advice
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 04:24:31 pm »
The problem is most likely dirty contacts on the switches. Get some electrical contact clener like Deoxit and spray some on the contacts from the back side and work the switches back and forth a bunch and that should clear it up. If it doesn't the switches need to be replaced.

If you don't want such a bright tone, try using flatwound strings. They sound very nice. Thomastik-Infeld and Pyramid both make some very good strings in flatwound style.

Greg