Author Topic: An old Sunn from 1969  (Read 2488 times)

Offline Rick Rosonowski

An old Sunn from 1969
« on: June 05, 2001, 08:36:00 pm »
A friend was moving and found in his shed an old amp head.

I looked on sunn's web site and did not see it.  This model has seven knobs acrossed the front.  The original markings are not there.  I figured that it once had a chrome face plate.  The plate is missing and someone marked the knobs with a label maker.

The head is much like a spectrum or sonic  

four inputs----volume---mid---bass---treble---tremelo---tremelo--reverb---standby--polarity--on/off

2 tubes 6550
12au7
two tranformers
16 ohm speaker jack and 8 ohm extention jack
Footswitch
125Watt

To make sure that mice hadn't set up shop inside of it I took the amp out of the cabinet.  
  No sign of mice or damage.  
  In grease pencil 9/18/69 is written inside.

I am a long time guitar player and want to use this amp.  I have not plugged it in yet.  It is missing the fuse and the holder.

Can you help me find the schematic?  Just in case i need it.
Is there a demand from collectors for this particular model?

Rick Rosonowski
Wauseon, Oh

(Move to Selected Folder)InboxSent MessagesDraftsTrash CanJUNKNSTUFF

Offline mike

An old Sunn from 1969
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2001, 04:38:00 pm »
There should also be sockets for a 6AN8 tube(phase inverter) and 12ax7(the actual preamp tube...the 12au7 tube is the reverb driver).  If there is a metal cap on the chassis where it looks like a tube shocket might be, or no cap at all, you have a solid state rectifier; if there's one more larger tube socket unaccounted for,  you'll need a GZ34 tube rectifier.  This amp configuration(2x6550/KT88 power tubes =60watts)  went by several different names, 100s, Solarus, Sceptre; earlier versions may not have rev/trem circuits, but you can check the "schematics"  link at the bottom of the main page here for more info, or else check Aspen Pitmann's "Tube Amp Book".