Author Topic: Model T with Big Muff?  (Read 4099 times)

Offline Andy's Junky Music

Model T with Big Muff?
« on: October 25, 2006, 04:31:00 pm »
Ive been messing around with my model t and different pedals trying to get a good stoner/doom sound and am having trouble.  I know some might question the use of the pedal but I use it so I can get harmonics easier.  The best pedal Ive found to run with it so far is the big muff.  Anyone have any suggestions as to settings for the head? 

rick.heil

Re: Model T with Big Muff?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 09:11:56 pm »
No idea about the head, but a Big Muff Pi plus my beta lead (one channel set up for bass-ier, grind the living heck out of it, the other for treble, a little less distorted) kicks some major butt for the Melvins, Eyehategod, Bongzilla, etc...

(if you don't know Bongzilla and love that kinda sludgey sound, check out their album Gateway)

Offline Andy's Junky Music

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 10:10:12 pm »
dude i love bongzilla and agree gateway rules....ever see them?

Offline giovanni

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 11:37:11 am »
i would say give up on the big muff pi, unless you are tuning to A or lower.  I still use it in my band, but sparingly as i have aquired more amps i have noticed that i get a huge tone suck when using the big muff as i don't belive it has true bypass, at least the sovtek green ones don't...   however i just spilled an entire can of sparks on it the other day and now it doesn't work at all, sooooooooo i am having my amp guy go through it while he cleans my beta, and modifies my model t, maybe he can get to the root of my loss of tone.  i personally think they should change the name of the pedal to the BIG MUD PI:wink:

rick.heil

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 03:24:47 pm »
Heh. Amen to the Big MUD Pi. 

But that IS half the reason I like it.  I was told that mine has a true bypass, so I'm not sure....

The soda might be it. But then again, for guitar playing, I only run (in this order):
-Wah (crybaby)
-Korg Ampworks
-BMP
-My homebuilt wah pedal (try a wah after distortion some time, its cool).

The only drop I really notice is when my homebuilt wah is dying, and thats when its turned on (I put true bypass in it and the crybaby).

But mostly I use pedals and my Beta for rock/metal/jam keyboards, which has no lack of signal at all - plenty of headroom to push it through.   Then again, add about 8 more pedals for the keyboard, my usual setup includes flanger, phaser, an EH synthesizer pedal - its a lot of fun to mess with, a boss delay station, a Line 6 DL-6 I think - the green one, a boss metal zone, and two equalizer pedals. Don't even get me started on my studio rig....

Can you tell I <3 my pedals?

Offline n!k

• N!
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 08:55:35 pm »
analogman.com or vodkamods.com can put a true-bypass in any of your pedals
as well as upgrade the connections and pots for like $40. A great investment.

My Stoner Rock / Doom Bass setup:

-> ( EH Bass MicroSynthesizer ) -> ( VL Super Fuzz ) -> ( EH Graphic Fuzz ) -> Sunn Coliseum Bass

I use the Synth for the low-octave and the filter sweep. the Super Fuzz is on for solos or lead and the
Graphic Fuzz doubles as a great EQ to harness more low-end or clean up the mid's.
My Sunn Amp:
1971 "Coliseum" Model T (Prototype, Made in Portland)

Offline WallO)))SunnO)))

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 09:09:13 pm »
even though it seems like the nu-metal settings du jour, i don't like how the mids sound from my t's with the cabs i have so i tend to scoop them out quite a bit...  usually both preamp gains around 6, bass dimed, mids at 2, treble at 5, prescence at 7 with the volume up there...usually 7 or 8. then i run a black russian muff or the hard to acquire sanford and sonny bluebeard fuzz, with volume dimed, fuzz at half mast and tone just above half.  i generally tune to drop c and i just about nail that goatsnake tone.  my pedalboard is: boss oc-2(soon to be foxroxx octron), chicago irons parachute wah, s&s bluebeard fuzz, dl4

Offline Colossus76

• Buzzardstein
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 05:03:23 pm »
i use a vintage '76 Big Muff with my '74 Model T and I love how it sounds. My Big Muff is modded to true bypass and I tune to dropped A#. My band plays alot of droned out, slow stuff and it works great for that.

Offline Branimir

• Drong...drong....
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 09:04:20 pm »
Why not try a Rat pedal?

BMP's have that middle notch that usually eats up all the useable frequencies that guitar has, alotugh I had much luck with green muff, concert lead and tuned to A... Just remember... Big Muff has scooped mids, bring the mids up on the tone control on the amp, and you may have a winner there ;)

Offline rebelsound

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 06:35:39 pm »
I use a Sunn SPL-4120 rack mount 10-channel eq with my Model T and nothing else.  Got it for 30 bucks on ebay several years back and blows the natural T sound over the top PLUS you won't sound like everybody else (Rat, Big Muff etc).

-Ryan

Offline Ryanx

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2006, 10:49:12 pm »
i got a big muff last night and ran it through a Peavy Butcher and a Marshall 4x12.  it wasn't bad but am waiting until morning to run it through my concert bass and 215b

Offline eotpr

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 11:05:06 am »
I have run both an early '70s Big Muff Pi and a '70s superfuzz through mine and mostly stuck with the superfuzz.  I like the BMP quite a bit but that was through the Sceptre with a Sunn 3X12 cabinent. I don't know if the new ones (BMP) have the toggle switch on them but the old ones do and switched one way it was too much for me but the other way it was pretty cool.