Author Topic: Sceptre Tubes  (Read 1390 times)

Offline eotpr

Sceptre Tubes
« on: January 31, 2007, 07:02:50 am »
I have a Sceptre with the origional tubes.  Is there any reason to change them or should I just keep on using them until it stops?  Is it easy to find new tubes for them?  I have heard about rebiasing the tubes when you replace them will I have to do that?  I love my amp and used it alot in the 70's and early 80's gigging.  It never failed me.   :? 

Offline Johann

Re: Sceptre Tubes
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 08:54:28 am »
tubes will degrage over time from use, and if you have been using it for decades like you seem to have, then a tube replacement would probably be in order. I'm not sure how the sceptre is biased or if it has an adjustable bias pot, so I can't really comment on the rebiasing issue

also you can get KT-88 tubes from several places, so finding tube replacements shouldn't be a problem

Offline eotpr

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 10:22:04 am »
Thanks for the information.  So should I change all of the tubes or just the power tubes? 

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 04:42:09 pm »
What kind of tubes is it loaded with? More importantly...How does it sound?
If it has the original tubes, they will last longer and sound better than modern replacements. I have lightly used a '70 Sceptre with (I assume original) USA Tung Sol 6550's and they still test 90%+, and I have a very hard played '67 200S with Sunn branded "Made in Great Britain" KT88's that test at 70-75%. Your preamp tubes should last even longer. At least get them tested before you replace them.

Better yet, pull all the tubes and send them to me! I'll even pay for shipping.

Offline eotpr

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 04:53:40 pm »
EdBass,  A week ago I would have just tossed them but I was in the local music store and they told me to keep them even if they burned out.  I have three amps with the original tubes, the Sunn, a '56 Gibson, and one that I can't figure out what it is.  You didn't catch me soon enough or I might have taken you up on that......not any more. :-D