Author Topic: 67 Sunn Sentura II update / Cabs  (Read 6229 times)

Offline HRobert

67 Sunn Sentura II update / Cabs
« on: November 18, 2009, 07:33:09 pm »
After beng taken away from the amp project by other priorities, I've finally had an opportunity to get back and do some work.

Last night and tonight I attached the new grill cloth to the the baffles, and installed the baffles in the cabinets.  No skimping here....there are 40 zinc plated steel screws in each cabinet holding the baffles in place.

The next step is cutting the 1" foam for the insulation, and covering the backs with vinyl.  Since I don't have enough room in my basement to roll out the foam or the vinyl, I'll use the physics lab at school where there is plenty of room.

Once that is finished, all that's left to be done is to install the foam insulation in the cabs, mount and wire the JBL K-130's, and close up the backs.....then they're ready to go.

Here are pictures of the project so far.

Rob
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 03:26:11 pm by HRobert »

Offline Addam

• Opus Noir
Re: 67 Sunn Sentura II update / Cabs
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 12:45:17 am »
Those look REALLY good.  You'll have to record something with them so we can hear how they sound.

Did you recorder the head too or is it just super clean?

Offline HRobert

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 06:53:51 am »
Those look REALLY good.  You'll have to record something with them so we can hear how they sound.

Addam,

I have a couple of other posts in this DIY section that show other pictures of the project.   I bought the head on ebay and got shafted.  It was advertised as working perfect....what a joke!!!  I paid $525 including shipping and it was a mess, sounded like crap, and was pretty dirty. The guy wouldn't take it back.  Look at my other posts for some pics.

I removed the chassis, all of the hardware, and took off the facia board and old grill cloth so all I had was the box.  I was fortunate that the original vinyl did not have any rips our gouges in it and, other than being dirty, was in great condition.  I used Armor-All cleaner and a soft nylon brush to clean the accumulation of dirt out of the vinyl...I must have used 1/2 bottle.  That brought the vinyl back really nice.

I had to cut a new facia board and mount new grill cloth.  It looked like someone had tried to mount some sort of effects box inside the amp head and they ruined the board and the ( frown ) original grill cloth. I cleaned the chassis surface as well as I could, and with a cloth and 3-1 machine oil, wiped the transformer plates to remove the rusty looking oxidation.  I then took the chassis to my electronics guru and he did the following:  Cleaned the outside of the chassis - better- ( the underside was perfect),  Replaced 14 capacitors and 2 resistors, Cleaned the pots and jacks, rewired the 3 prong grounded power cable...the original job was lousy. and put in a much newer ( gently used set ) of tubes and biased the power tubes. All that for just $185.00.  I think that was a good deal.

The reverb was weak and thin sounding. The circuitry for the reverb was checked and everything was OK with the circuits, so I contacted Accutronics in Chicago and bought a new model 4 reverb tank ( identical to the Gibbs F unit that originally came with the amp ). $42.00. I bought a new set of OEM knobs from a gentleman who is on this site;  $5 each; 7 knobs were $35.00. The original handle was in real bad shape so I went through Parts-Express and bought 3 of their heavy duty handles with nickel ends; #262-312, for the head and the cabs. I also bought their  heavy duty 1 1/2 x 5/8" rubber feet; #260-770, for the amp head and the cabs.  All mounting screws, bolts, and T-Nuts (where needed) for the handles and chassis are stainless steel, as are the the 30 oval head screws for the back.  And finally, I bought from Conrad, a set of metal corners for the amp and cabs that are identical to the Sunn originals.  I believe they are OEM. Thank you, Conrad.

Total cost for the resurection; about $820.00....which includes the original cost of the head.  This baby has been brought back!!!!

More later as the project procedes.

Rob

« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 08:58:08 am by HRobert »

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 02:18:46 pm »
Rob -

Just saw the photos. Other than "wow," I am speechless.  Those cabs look great, and you did a super job getting that head back in shape.

Carter :-)
Sunn since June 1971!
1971 Sorado, 2000S, Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead
1970 200S; 1974 Coliseum 880

Offline Addam

• Opus Noir
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 02:35:51 pm »
Those look REALLY good.  You'll have to record something with them so we can hear how they sound.

Addam,

I have a couple of other posts in this DIY section that show other pictures of the project.   I bought the head on ebay and got shafted.  It was advertised as working perfect....what a joke!!!  I paid $525 including shipping and it was a mess, sounded like crap, and was pretty dirty. The guy wouldn't take it back.  Look at my other posts for some pics.

I removed the chassis, all of the hardwear, and took off the facia board and old grill cloth so all I had was the box.  I was fortunate that the original vinyl did not have any rips our gouges in it and, other than being dirty, was in great condition.  I used Armor-All cleaner and a soft nylon brush to clean the accumulation of dirt out of the vinyl...I must have used 1/2 bottle.  That brought the vinyl back really nice.

I had to cut a new facia board and mount new grill cloth.  It looked like someone had tried to mount some sort of effects box inside the amp head and they ruined the board and the ( frown ) original grill cloth. I cleaned the chassis surface as well as I could, and with a cloth and 3-1 machine oil, wiped the transformer plates to remove the rusty looking oxidation.  I then took the chassis to my electronics guru and he did the following:  Cleaned the outside of the chassis - better- ( the underside was perfect),  Replaced 14 capacitors and 2 resistors, Cleaned the pots and jacks, rewired the 3 prong grounded power cable...the original job was lousy. and put in a much newer ( gently used set ) of tubes and biased the power tubes. All that for just $185.00.  I think that was a good deal.

The reverb was weak, and the circuitry was checked - everything was OK with the circuits, so I contacted Accutronics in Chicago and bought a new model 4 reverb tank ( identical to the Gibbs F unit that originally came with the amp ). $42.00. I bought a new set of OEM knobs from a gentleman who is on this site;  $5 each
7 knobs were $35.00. The original handle was in real bad shape so I went through Parts express and bought 3 of their heavy duty handles with nickle ends for the head and the cabs. I also bought their their heavy duty
1 1/2 x 7/8" rubber feet ( not sure if that's the exact size ) for the amp head and the cabs.  All mounting screws, bolds, and T-Nuts - where needed - are stainless steel.  And finally, I bought from Conrad, a set of metal corners for the amp and cabs that are identical to the Sunn originals.  I believe they are OEM. Thank you, Conrad.

Total cost for the resurection; about $820.00....including the original cost of the head.

More later as the project procedes.

Rob

Ya, after I posted that and got back on to check the boards today I saw your other thread.  Sorry to have you repost all that.

Offline HRobert

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 05:33:29 pm »
Addam.

Hey, no problem. This post gave a little more detail ayway.

Thanks for looking and your comments.

Offline HRobert

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 05:46:24 pm »
Rob -

Just saw the photos. Other than "wow," I am speechless.  Those cabs look great, and you did a super job getting that head back in shape.

Carter,

Thanks for the compliment.  It's been a lot of work, but at the same time, a lot of fun also.  When I get the JBL K-130's mounted, the cabs will look more original with those aluminum dust domes showing behind the cloth.

Rob

Offline HRobert

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 05:48:20 pm »
Rob -

Just saw the photos. Other than "wow," I am speechless.  Those cabs look great, and you did a super job getting that head back in shape.

Carter,

Your stack of Sunn amps looks very impressive.  I wish the picture were bigger.

Rob

Offline CLD

• Sunn Sorado
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 10:22:34 am »
Thanks, Rob. I e-mailed it to you.
Sunn since June 1971!
1971 Sorado, 2000S, Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead
1970 200S; 1974 Coliseum 880

Offline SUNNBODY

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 05:23:07 pm »
 :-D  I can see that this project is a labor of love, man!  Great job!  I have not seen that much Sunn gear out there for sale in stores.  Every once in a blue moon I've spotted a Sunn head at GC as used gear, I suppose most of the stuff is on ebay or Craigslist.  Once again good job on the restoration and enjoy that Sentura II!
Here's my Gear:  Sunn alpha 112r, Fender Vibro Champ, Pro Junior, Blues Junior,Super Reverb, Vox AC4TV, Lil' Night Train, Blackstar HT-1,  Guitars: 2 Fender Strats, Telecaster, Squier Tele, Gibson LP Special SL, Epi SG Special, Fender P Bass, Kay SG.