Author Topic: Jimi Hendrix  (Read 7087 times)

Offline alpha115

Jimi Hendrix
« on: March 19, 2003, 08:40:36 pm »
Didn't Hendrix use Sunn?

Offline Jr

Jimi Hendrix
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2003, 06:33:47 pm »
yes for a time he did

Offline tenring

Hendrix?Sunn......Maybe in a Pinch...But I DON'T Think SO
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2003, 02:30:02 pm »
Being an avid Hendrix Fan since the very early 60's, and till present, I have Never known Jimi to play anything other Than Marshall, Hence the name James Marshall Hendrix.
I have had the Oppourtunity to see at least 8 of his Performances, and NEVER saw a Sunn on the Stage, although I do Believe that Noel Redding, or Cox did use a Sunn Concert Bass amp on occasion.
Could never see Jimi playing anything other than a Marshall---just an  opinion from an OLD HIPPIE, and those were "THE DAYS"

Tenring[/b]

Offline beta

in the start
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2003, 07:10:57 pm »
Hendrix used Sunn in the beginning, it was Mitch Mitchell (drummer) who got the band using Marshalls.

Wil.

Offline Jr

Jimi Hendrix
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2003, 10:02:39 pm »
wow somebody has no idea what they are talking about.........hendrix in the early sixties? cox was always affiliated with marshall. and yes hendrix did use sunns early on.   old hippies suck

Stratocat

Re: Hendrix?Sunn......Maybe in a Pinch...But I DON'T Think S
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2003, 11:51:01 pm »
Quote from: tenring
Being an avid Hendrix Fan since the very early 60's, and till present, I have Never known Jimi to play anything other Than Marshall, Hence the name James Marshall Hendrix.
I have had the Oppourtunity to see at least 8 of his Performances, and NEVER saw a Sunn on the Stage, although I do Believe that Noel Redding, or Cox did use a Sunn Concert Bass amp on occasion.
Could never see Jimi playing anything other than a Marshall---just an  opinion from an OLD HIPPIE, and those were "THE DAYS" Tenring[/b]

Hendrix got alot of his gear used from Pete Townshend of the Who. Back in those days gear was rented from Jim Marshall and he stopped Letting the Who use the gear cause they destroyed it and never paid the rent on it.   As for Hendrix using Sunn amps yes he did use them breifly in 68/69 and Noel Redding used them exclusivly for a long time. :)

Stratocat

Re: Hendrix?Sunn......Maybe in a Pinch...But I DON'T Think S
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2003, 11:53:26 pm »
Quote from: tenring
Could never see Jimi playing anything other than a Marshall---just an  opinion from an OLD HIPPIE, and those were "THE DAYS" Tenring[/b]

Hendrix got alot of his gear used from Pete Townshend of the Who. Back in those days gear was rented from Jim Marshall and he stopped Letting the Who use the gear cause they destroyed it and never paid the rent on it.   As for Hendrix using Sunn amps yes he did use them breifly in 68/69 and Noel Redding used them exclusivly for a long time. As for James Marshall Hendrix being the source of the Brand name Marshall nothing could be further from the truth:)

Anonymous

Jimi Hendrix
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2003, 07:48:58 am »
"old hippies suck"

:evil: hey jr,

that's a damned unfriendly thing to say! old hippies got more done politically and musically than any other generation in the history of the nation. the total of social change and the change of direction in government was of more benefit to your generation than anything that the punkers, goths, and grunge rockers combined have accomplished.

you really should be more respectful of "old hippies!"  8)

best regards, tube

Anonymous

Jimi Hendrix
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2003, 06:32:21 pm »
Well, this "old hippie" remembers things a little differently... and there was also an early Guitar Player article detailing Hendrix equipment (which if I remember correctly was repeated/redone in the 1975 Guitar Player issue on the 5th anniversary of his death), and at least one other interview article with the Hendrix "head equipment manager".

Hendrix did use Sunn equipment during some of his US tours.  He found them "too clean" and eventually went back to the Marshalls.  One interesting aspect about the Marshalls though... he prefered the ones with 6550 output tubes over the EL34 models, where most Marshall users are the exact opposite.

Offline elektrohasch

• http://www.elektrohasch.de
Jimi Hendrix
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2004, 05:11:04 am »
Recently I've seen a picture with Hendrix in Front of Sunn 100 S and 215 cabinets, but somewhere I read he prefered the Coliseum PA heads - which are really good distorting amps for guitar - I got one and also the little brother Studio PA and you can get some typical Hendrix tone out of them... I'm curious if he used Sunn Amps for the recording of 1983.../ Moon Turns The Tides... I think this is a typical Sunn tone, which I also get from my heads and I can't imagine a Marshall could sound like that...

Tabula Rasa

Jimi Hendrix
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2004, 10:44:51 pm »
I read from I believe Conrad Sundholm that Sunn gave Jimi a bunch of free Sunns in exchange for research and development input.  And then I believe he trashed them.   :D

Offline Metal Dave

Jimi Hendrix
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2006, 03:22:32 pm »
There's definitely plenty of photos and video of Jimi using Sunn stuff. Also, I'm pretty sure his parents named him long before ever hearing anything about Jim Marshall.
Tune Low
Play Slow