Author Topic: 200s cab from a Cream tour  (Read 1947 times)

Offline gavin

200s cab from a Cream tour
« on: March 27, 2010, 09:25:19 am »
Hi Sunnexperts;

At a dinner party a few years back, Buck Munger (Sunn A&R man who put the rock godz & amps together for shows) told me that at a Cream show in LA, all the current buzz was for Altec spkrs.  Buck said they put the stage rigs together w/ Altec 418s in place of the JBLs.  Cream used them one night and wanted JBL loaded boxes for the next show in San Francisco.
QUESTION:
  My first 200s cab had Altec 418s in it...Buck said it was possibly a "returned to the factory" box from that show...they only used them the one night, and being in Portland OR, it may have hit the street as a "special".  I still have the drivers.  They sound beautiful, but can't go quite as loud.(More than adequate though.) Also. the magnet covers had to be removed to even fit in the box...probably not performed by a hack.
  AM I COMMITTING A SACRELIGE to have put the K140s in THAT cab.  I could put the Altecs back in and be happy w/ a historic piece...no serial numbers to confirm...Buck is NOT a BS guy!!!

THX
gavin

Offline imwizardz

Re: 200s cab from a Cream tour
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 07:58:35 pm »
Put the Altec's back in, You might have a problem with the others later. I owned a 200s for many years, speak from experience. I Had the JBL's originally & when they gave out I tried the Altecs & then something else, had probs with the something else & not the Altec's. You are very lucky to have that amp. Ever want to get rid of it, Let's talk! I might be interested!

Offline MarkG

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 03:22:33 pm »
Did Cream ever actually use Sunn even once??? 

I had read an article some time ago,(trying to find it,will post if I can ) that Sunn never got off the ground with Cream after they demo ed  the Altec equipped versions,that had been put together at THEIR request.

As I recall the article, it indicated Sunn never even got a second chance with Cream.

Offline gavin

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 05:34:14 pm »
Thanks Mark G...This sounds correct...they wanted the Altecs and then did not like them...No good deed goes unpunished!!!  Guess I'll keep the gerbils in the box...no sense in celebrating about this.  The Altecs are in monitor cabs and work good there.  Sunn had many many triumphs to celebrate.  Thanks guys, I hope I am not abusing the website...yes I am very lucky.
gavin

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 09:32:28 am »
I'd certainly keep the Altecs, at least for nostalgia sake. Even if it wasn't a Cream cab, a factory Altec loaded 200S was a rare bird indeed.
Run the 140's (the K140 is my personal favorite AlNiCo bass driver) to get the classic Sunn tone, you can always put the Altecs back in and have an original rarity; with possible historic significance to boot.