Author Topic: ok, now i got heavier questions  (Read 1911 times)

Offline billsswills

ok, now i got heavier questions
« on: April 06, 2015, 03:10:18 pm »
playin along all dumb and happy one day on the sonaro when i hear a "whomp" sound accompanied by a dramatic loss in volume. the volume slowly sort of started to build back up, then i shut the amp off. it's been kind of wishy washy with the volume, which had me concerned, but i wanted to keep going to learn about what was happening. ya know, science and all that. anyways, i'm at a loss now since i don't know about these sorts of things. high time to learn. baptism by fire, right? any idears fellers?

Offline billsswills

Re: ok, now i got heavier questions
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 03:17:23 pm »
i'm observing the tubes right now, just to see what's goin on. don't see any blue. dull orange. don't know if that info will help or not. forgot to say that when the problem happened there was a serious temperature comin out of'em

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 08:05:25 pm »
Here's an idea; take it to a qualified amp tech.

All kidding aside it could be a lot of things, diagnosing the problem and then walking you through repairing it via an internet forum isn't a real practical concept, and could actually be hazardous to your health - particularly since you "don't know about these sorts of things". There are potentially lethal voltages hanging out inside that chassis, even if the amp isn't plugged in.

An old Sunn is pretty simple simple stuff for a tech who does know about those sorts of things, pretty basic and straight forward.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 08:18:42 pm by EdBass »

Offline Ryan Phelps

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 09:17:59 pm »
+1 to EdBass' advice. Leave this to an amp tech. No user serviceable parts inside. Lethal voltages. Etc.

Offline Soundmasterg

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 02:11:50 am »
What is dull orange in the tubes? If it is the heaters that is ok, but if it is the plates of the tubes that is a problem. As the others said if you don't know what you are doing, then you shouldn't put your hands in the amp until you learn how to be safe. If you want the amp back up and running soon then you should take it to a qualified tech. If you don't mind waiting months, then get some reading material and do some learning on forums and websites and ask questions and you may be able to figure out the problem and how to fix it without killing yourself. Safety first!

Greg

Offline billsswills

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 06:46:08 am »
deadly, eh? yeah i'm a big fan of avoiding that sort of thing. right on men. thanks for bein straightforward with me about it. it's certainly a thing i need to learn about, bein an owner and all. thanks again dudes, really.... hey if any of ya wanna trade me a loaner, haha

Offline EdBass

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 08:33:05 am »
deadly, eh? yeah i'm a big fan of avoiding that sort of thing. right on men. thanks for bein straightforward with me about it. it's certainly a thing i need to learn about, bein an owner and all. thanks again dudes, really.... hey if any of ya wanna trade me a loaner, haha

Good choice! If you take it to a tech, there are plenty of folks here that can help them out with schematics, parts sources, etc.