Author Topic: Sunn Knobs  (Read 3232 times)

Offline patlaw

Sunn Knobs
« on: March 08, 2022, 01:17:48 pm »
Apologies if already posted elsewhere, but check this out. Antique Electronics is now selling Rogan knobs. They made them for the early Sunn amps.

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/knob-rogan-155-series-witch-hat-0-10

Offline Watson

• House Kustoms Guitars and Amps
Re: Sunn Knobs
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2022, 02:07:51 pm »
These also appear on their commercial website cedist.com (https://www.cedist.com/products/knob-rogan-155-series-witch-hat-0-10). If you have an account there you'll save about 15%.

Offline Ryan Phelps

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 06:58:07 am »
The numbered (0 -10) Rogan knobs Shown on AES website are the style used on Musicman amps. While similar to Sunn knobs, the numbers typeface used has a "square shoulder" rather than "rounded" as on Sunn amps. A small detail, but these won't match original Sunn knobs on your old amp.

Years ago, someone apparently commissioned Rogan for reproduction Sunn knobs and offered them for sale. I bought a bunch for restoration. More recently a forum member was considering another run of Rogan Sunn knobs, but it seemed that the cost vs. demand did not pencil-out.

Another Rogan knob on the AES website appears to match the earlier Sunn knobs with the large arrow in lieu of numbers. For a short time, Sunn had the numbers silk-screened on the control panel and used the arrow knobs.

Offline Ryan Phelps

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 09:04:49 am »
A follow-up to my last post. I found some knobs listed on eBay as "Musicman" knobs. However these knobs have the "rounded" typeface as used on older (60's - early 70's) Sunn amps rather than the "square shoulder" typeface used on Musicman amps.
Search for "Musicman Rogan knob" and you'll find it. No affiliation! Just hoping to help those needing Sunn amp knobs for restoration.

Offline patlaw

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2022, 09:21:49 am »
I wonder if the seller is the same one who was making these available several years ago. As I recall, he had Rogan make them from the same tooling that the Sunn knobs were made from. Are these, in fact, the correct version for the early Sentura II and similar amps? Good find!

Offline Ryan Phelps

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2022, 10:43:06 am »
I have no idea if the eBay seller is the same person that commissioned the Rogan "Sunn-style" knobs. I believe that these knobs are a match for the Sunn numbered knobs used in the late 60's - early 70's tube amps.

On an associated note, there is a seller on eBay who has correct Sunn handles (both the stitched vinyl and rubber strap style), handle end caps, and knobs for the Beta amp series made by Hartzell in the late 70's - early 80's. I purchased handle end caps and knobs for a Sunn Beta Bass combo from him. Perfect fit, size and cosmetics. No affiliation! Just passing this info on to my fellow Sunn enthusiasts.

Offline patlaw

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2022, 08:18:10 pm »
I wish I could find the handle for a 1967 Sentura II. I tried one from an eBay seller. It's possibly the one you found. It's not a fit.

Offline GeorgeThern

Hibish Design builds a Beta Lead clone - thoughts?
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2024, 02:17:39 pm »
Has anyone tried the Beta Lead clone built by Hibish Design? I'm curious to know if it captures the original Beta Lead's unique tone and if it's worth investing in. Any feedback or personal experiences would be appreciated!