Author Topic: Neil Youngs old black les paul  (Read 3563 times)

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
Neil Youngs old black les paul
« on: September 24, 2011, 10:28:52 pm »
i'm not gonna go into indepth details but i have been wanting to build a neckthru guitar for quite a while now and after thinking of what i wanted to build i was between a gibson firebird and a les paul,

at first i was just gonna do a stock firebird and was getting ready to order then my wife comes thru and says what are you doing so i said i'm ordering to build my guitar and just so happens i had a magazine laying by me that was turned to a page with a interview with neil young and his old black guitar and she says thats gonna be a neat black guitar so i say how do you know what color its gonna be and she said your building the one in the magazine right?...............and so i start looking at the picture and then via youtube watched some vids of neil tearing it up and i was like yep gonna do a old black.

so long story short i'm building a neil young old black

neckthru (via carvin wish i could build my own neck) mahogany unfinished ebony fret board

chrome covered brass pick guard

kent armstong mini humbucker

kent armstrong P90

bigsby B-7 with a bigsby rocker bridge or roller bridge

schaller m6 tuners

more less hardware will be as close to the original as possible and crappy paint job but as of now i'm not gonna age it or anything with some of my own preferences

anyway to me possiblly the coolest neckthru i'll ever own plus other than the neck will be all handmade
1975 Sunn model T
2007Crate Blue voodoo BV 120(mercury magnetics upgraded)
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Creepy fingers harakiri superfuzz
Creepy fingers doomidrive
Earthbound Audio supercollider
Malekko Plus Ultra 213

Offline loudthud

• Global Moderator
Re: Neil Youngs old black les paul
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 12:39:39 pm »
I thought I read that Neal actually used an old Firebird pickup. Same size as the mini-humbucker on a Les Paul Deluxe.

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 02:05:39 pm »
yeah he did use a firebird pickup and the original p90 that came  with the goldtop the kent armstrong mini hum the one that i have bought is made to the same specs as the older firebird pickups and for I think $20 more they would make it microphonic like neils although i don,t really think i want it microphonic the p90 is also made to vintage specs.

the old black i'm building will be almost the same other than the neckthru and that my bridge will be one made to work with a bigsby so i can stay in tune lol still have;nt decided if i'm gonna relic it or wear in my on scratches and scuffs
1975 Sunn model T
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Malekko Plus Ultra 213

Offline stanner

• s t a n o s a u r
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 04:37:19 pm »
i was all good w/ this thread til i read "relic" as in pretending something is old w/ fake markings! what a red flag that is for me-a bigger scam perpetrated on the guitar purchasing populace i havent seen.
i always wondered why this business practice has lasted as long as it has. as there is a  lot of phoniness in the biz i guess i should just go along w/ it but i'm here to say - HATE IT!! :?
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Offline tacklebox455

• meh'
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 08:42:34 pm »
the only reason this i would relic this guitar would be to make it look,feel,just like neil youngs black guitar

i agree with you as you said on the relic guitar thing these days kinda liek the fender road worn series i hate that myself but again this would only be to mimic neils gutiar in looks and feel so far i am leaning to leaving the guitar in the fresh painted look and wear my own marks on it but again i would only relic / fake scratchs ,scuffs,and such not to make a mirror image of his old black in its current condition
1975 Sunn model T
Randall RT 503
Jet City JCA 22H
Malekko Plus Ultra 213

Offline rot gut

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 07:08:01 am »
buying a carvin wont make it look or feel like a gibson.