Author Topic: 2000s for sale  (Read 3244 times)

Offline Monsieur Lebeaux

2000s for sale
« on: October 06, 2009, 01:49:04 pm »
Hey!!  I replied to the wtb ad below, but in case you didn't see it... This head was listed on Ebay last Thursday and will end in a couple of days.  If the winner is able to pick it up locally, or is close enough for me to deliver (gas fee applies), then they will have the option to buy the cabinets as well.  Otherwise, I'll just keep the cabinets for myself.  All the details are listed on the Ebay auction along with detailed photos.  Here are some pictures of the stack.  Thanks!!

Oh yeah, It has been brought to my attention more than once that the 2000s is only rated at 120 watts.  I naturally assumed 1200s=120 watts, 2000s=200 watts.  Maybe not.  There are other quad 6550/KT88 amps out there that are rated at 200 watts, why wouldn't this one be?  Can someone enlighten me?  Thanks again!!

The entire stack with the bottom cabinet on the casters and the head on top as shown in the photos is 73" tall.  The individual cabinets measure 30"x30"x15".  Only one cabinet has casters, the other lost them somewhere along the way.  No damage in the process though.  I haven't cleaned these cabinets at all and they could use a wipedown.  The corners are a little rusty, but they will polish up somewhat.  The driver baskets are definitely original, but I am not sure about the cones.  They look pretty fresh and the dustcap logo is turned at an odd angle on both of them.  The drivers were definitely removed from the cabinet at some point, for some reason along the way.  Whoever did that probably just wasn't paying attention when they put them back in.  I was going to rotate them, but they're stuck pretty tight even with the bolts removed so they may have some sort of sealant holding them in place.  It's purely cosmetic, so I just left them as they are.  One more thing... the original screws holding on the back panels have been replaced with heavy duty bolts.  If someone does buy these cabinets, I will remove the bolts and get some original style screws for it.  Shouldn't be too big of a deal, but I thought I should let you know.

Offline Happy Face

Re: 2000s for sale
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 06:48:39 am »
NO doubt those more knowledgeable will pipe in and correct me, but i believe that the wattage difference has to do with the transformers and how much voltage goes to the plates.

There were other 4x6550 amps that are rated at 120 watts. The Ampeg V4 (?) comes to mind.

When did the change come? Didn't the mid 70s 4x6550 Hiwatts rate closer to 200 watts? I'm hoping someone will "edumacate" us on this!   

Offline Monsieur Lebeaux

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 06:12:25 pm »
Yeah, I know the transformer has something to do with it, and the output transformer on this thing is huge!!  I've got an Ampeg vt22 (v4 combo).  Those originally were specified for 7027 power tubes, which are interchangeable with 6l6's.  You would have to mod one if you were going to use 6550's.  Regardless, the 2000S is still a great amp with plenty of power!

Offline Happy Face

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 06:10:31 am »
Great amp, plenty of power, wonderful sound. And rugged - load it in & out of the truck over & over with no probs.